Capital controls in Brazil: effective?
AbstractWe analyze the impact of the controls and restrictions on capital inflows that Brazil has adopted since late 2009. We document that these measures had some success in segmenting the Brazilian and global financial markets, as measured by wedges between onshore and offshore prices of similar fixed and variable income assets. However, that failed to translate into significant changes in the exchange rate, at least in the immediate aftermath of these measures, suggesting limited success in mitigating real appreciation. But capital controls/restrictions may have contributed to the sizable depreciation of the real in 2012, possibly amplifying the effect on the exchange rate of cuts in the interest policy rate during that period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil) in its series Textos para discussão with number 606.
Date of creation: Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Rua Marquês de São Vicente, 225, 22453-900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Phone: 021 35271078
Fax: 021 35271084
Web page: http://www.econ.puc-rio.br
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Forbes, Kristin & Fratzscher, Marcel & Straub, Roland, 2012.
"Bubble Thy Neighbor: Portfolio Effects and Externalities from Capital Controls,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8979, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Forbes, Kristin J. & Fratzscher, Marcel & Kostka, Thomas & Straub, Roland, 2012. "Bubble thy neighbor: portfolio effects and externalities from capital controls," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov, pages 1-48.
- Kristin Forbes & Marcel Fratzscher & Thomas Kostka & Roland Straub, 2012. "Bubble Thy Neighbor: Portfolio Effects and Externalities from Capital Controls," NBER Working Papers 18052, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Straub, Roland & Forbes, Kristin & Fratzscher, Marcel & Kostka, Thomas, 2013. "Bubble Thy Neighbor: Portfolio Effects and Externalities from Capital Controls," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79785, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Forbes, Kristin & Fratzscher, Marcel & Kostka, Thomas & Straub, Roland, 2012. "Bubble thy neighbor: portfolio effects and externalities from capital controls," Working Paper Series 1456, European Central Bank.
- Meese, Richard A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1983. "Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies : Do they fit out of sample?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 3-24, February.
- Nicolas E. Magud E. & Carmen M. & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011.
"Capital Controls: Myth and Reality--A Portfolio Balance Approach,"
Working Paper Series
WP11-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Nicolas E. Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011. "Capital Controls: Myth and Reality - A Portfolio Balance Approach," NBER Working Papers 16805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sebastian Auguste & Kathryn M.E. Dominguez & Herman Kamil & Linda L. Tesar, 2002.
"Cross-Border Trading as a Mechanism for Capital Flight: ADRs and the Argentine Crisis,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
513, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Sebastian Auguste & Kathryn M.E. Dominguez & Herman Kamil & Linda L. Tesar, 2002. "Cross-Border Trading as a Mechanism for Capital Flight: ADRs and the Argentine Crisis," NBER Working Papers 9343, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anton Korinek, 2011. "The New Economics of Prudential Capital Controls: A Research Agenda," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 59(3), pages 523-561, August.
- Forbes, Kristin J., 2003.
"One Cost of the Chilean Capital Controls: Increased Financial Constraints for Smaller Traded Firms,"
4273-02, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Forbes, Kristin J., 2007. "One cost of the Chilean capital controls: Increased financial constraints for smaller traded firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 294-323, April.
- Kristin J. Forbes, 2003. "One Cost of the Chilean Capital Controls: Increased Financial Constraints for Smalles Traded Firms," NBER Working Papers 9777, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eliana Cardoso & Ilan Goldfajn, 1998. "Capital Flows to Brazil: The Endogeneity of Capital Controls," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 161-202, March.
- Ostry, Jonathan D. & Ghosh, Atish R. & Chamon, Marcos & Qureshi, Mahvash S., 2012. "Tools for managing financial-stability risks from capital inflows," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 407-421.
- Brittany Baumann & Kevin Gallagher, 2013. "Post-Crisis Capital Account Regulation in South Korea and South Africa," Working Papers wp320, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Kristin Forbes & Marcel Fratzscher & Roland Straub, 2013. "Capital Controls and Macroprudential Measures: What Are They Good For?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1343, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Barbara Fritz & Daniela Prates, 2013. "Beyond capital controls: the regulation of foreign currency derivatives markets in South Korea and Brazil after the global financial crisis," Competence Centre on Money, Trade, Finance and Development 1307, Hochschule fuer Technik und Wirtschaft, Berlin.
- Jinjarak, Yothin & Noy, Ilan & Zheng, Huanhuan, 2013. "What Lessons Can Asia Draw from Capital Controls in Brazil during 2008–2012?," ADBI Working Papers 423, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Jaroslava Durčáková & Ondřej Šíma, 2013. "BRICS: Exchange Rate policy in Context of Internal and External Equilibrium," Český finanční a účetní časopis, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2013(4), pages 7-29.
- Calebe de Roure & Steven Furnagiev & Stefan Reitz, 2013. "The Microstructure of Exchange Rate Management: FX Intervention and Capital Controls in Brazil," Kiel Working Papers 1865, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Moura, Marcelo L. & Pereira, Fatima R. & Attuy, Guilherme de Moraes, 2013. "Currency Wars in Action: How Foreign Exchange Interventions Work in an Emerging Economy," Insper Working Papers wpe_304, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Paolo Mauro, 2013. "Rethinking Macro Policy II," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 13/003, International Monetary Fund.
- Irineu de Carvalho Filho, 2013. "Risk-off Episodes and Swiss Franc Appreciation: the Role of Capital Flows," Working Papers 13.07, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.