The Threat of Counterfeiting in Competitive Search Equilibrium
AbstractRecent studies in monetary theory show that if buyers can use lotteries to signal the quality of bank notes, counterfeiting does not occur in a pooling equilibrium. In this paper, I investigate the robustness of this non-existence result by considering an alternative trading mechanism. Specifically, a competitive search environment is employed in which sellers post offers and buyers direct their search based on those offers. In contrast to the previous studies, buyers’ ability to signal is fully eliminated in this environment. However, I find that counterfeiting does not exist if the equilibrium concept proposed by Guerrieri et al. (2010) is used. This is a refinement scheme in which sellers’ out-of-equilibrium beliefs about the likelihood of meeting with different types of buyers are restricted. Moreover, a threat of counterfeiting can result in the collapse of a monetary equilibrium. An extension of the model is provided which allows the threat of counterfeiting to materialize, in that some buyers cannot observe the offers, and therefore search randomly. Counterfeit notes are produced by those buyers who randomly search.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Canada in its series Working Papers with number 13-22.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-CTA-2013-07-15 (Contract Theory & Applications)
- NEP-DGE-2013-07-15 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MIC-2013-07-15 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Williamson, S. & Wright, R., 1991.
"Barter and Monetary Exchange Under Private Information,"
University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations Working Papers
9107, University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations.
- Williamson, Steve & Wright, Randall, 1994. "Barter and Monetary Exchange under Private Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 104-23, March.
- Steve Williamson & Randall Wright, 1991. "Barter and monetary exchange under private information," Staff Report 141, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Briana Chang, 2011. "Adverse Selection and Liquidity Distortion in Decentralized Markets," Discussion Papers 1513, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Faig Miquel & Jerez Belén, 2006.
"Inflation, Prices, and Information in Competitive Search,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-34, September.
- Miquel Faig & Belen Jerez, 2005. "Inflation, Prices, And Information In Competitive Search," Economics Working Papers we051708, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Belen Jerez & Miquel Faig, 2005. "Inflation, Prices, and Information in Competitive Search," 2005 Meeting Papers 462, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Miquel Faig & Belén Jerez, 2006. "Inflation, Prices, and Information in Competitive Search," Working Papers tecipa-215, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Ed Nosal & Ricardo Cavalcanti, 2007.
"Counterfeiting as Private Money in Mechanism Design,"
2007 Meeting Papers
371, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ricardo Cavalcanti & Ed Nosal, 2011. "Counterfeiting as Private Money in Mechanism Design," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43, pages 625-636, October.
- Ricardo Cavalcanti & Ed Nosal, 2007. "Counterfeiting as private money in mechanism design," Working Paper 0716, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Shao Enchuan, 2009. "Money and Barter under Private Information," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-38, February.
- Alain Delacroix & Shouyong Shi, 2007.
"Pricing and Signaling with Frictions,"
tecipa-298, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Mei Dong & Janet Hua Jiang, 2011. "Money and Price Posting under Private Information," Working Papers 11-22, Bank of Canada.
- Yiting Li & Guillaume Rocheteau & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2012.
"⊇↛Liquidity and the Threat of Fraudulent Assets,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 120(5), pages 000 - 000.
- Yiting Li & Guillaume Rocheteau & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2011. "Liquidity and the threat of fraudulent assets," Working Paper 1124, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Yiting Li & Guillaume Rocheteau & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2011. "Liquidity and the Threat of Fraudulent Assets," NBER Working Papers 17500, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benjamin Lester, 2011. "Information and Prices with Capacity Constraints," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(4), pages 1591-1600, June.
- Ping He & Lixin Huang & Randall Wright, 2005. "Money And Banking In Search Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(2), pages 637-670, 05.
- Ben Fung & Enchuan Shao, 2011. "Counterfeit Quality and Verification in a Monetary Exchange," Working Papers 11-4, Bank of Canada.
- Benjamin Lester & Andrew Postlewaite & Randall Wright, 2011. "Information and Liquidity," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43, pages 355-377, October.
- Briana Chang, 2011. "Adverse Selection and Liquidity Distortion in Decentralized Markets," 2011 Meeting Papers 157, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.