On The Threat Of Counterfeiting
AbstractWe study counterfeiting of currency in a searchâtheoretic model of monetary exchange. In contrast to Nosal and Wallace (2007), we establish that counterfeiting does not pose a threat to the existence of a monetary equilibrium; i.e., a monetary equilibrium exists irrespective of the cost of producing counterfeits, or the ease with which genuine money can be authenticated. However, the possibility to counterfeit ?at money can affect its value, velocity, output and welfare, even if no counterfeiting occurs in equilibrium. We provide two extensions of the model under which the threat of counterfeiting can materialize: counterfeits can circulate across periods, and sellers set terms of trades in some matches. Policies that make the currency more costly to counterfeit or easier to recognize raise the value of money and societyâs welfare, but the latter policy does not always decrease counterfeiting.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Macroeconomic Dynamics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): S1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_MDYProvider-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2005.
"A Unified Framework for Monetary Theory and Policy Analysis,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(3), pages 463-484, June.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2004. "A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis," Staff Report 346, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2002. "A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis," Working Paper 0211, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- KOHLBERG, Elon & MERTENS, Jean-François, .
"On the strategic stability of equilibria,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-716, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Zhu, Tao & Wallace, Neil, 2007. "Pairwise trade and coexistence of money and higher-return assets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 524-535, March.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Randall Wright, 2003.
"Money in Search Equilibrium, in Competitive Equilibrium, and in Competitive Search Equilibrium,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
03-031, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Randall Wright, 2005. "Money in Search Equilibrium, in Competitive Equilibrium, and in Competitive Search Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(1), pages 175-202, 01.
- Randall Wright & Guillame Rocheteau, 2003. "Money in Search Equilibrium, in Competitive Equilibrium, and in Competitive Search Equilibrium," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000302, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Randall Wright, 2004. "Money in search equilibrium, in competitive equilibrium, and in competitive search equilibrium," Working Paper 0405, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Zhang, Cathy, 2013. "An Information-Based Theory of International Currency," MPRA Paper 42114, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Williamson, Stephen D. & Wright, Randall, 2010.
"New Monetarist Economics: Methods,"
21486, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Venky Venkateswaran & Randall Wright, 2013.
"Pledgability and Liquidity: A New Monetarist Model of Financial and Macroeconomic Activity,"
NBER Working Papers
19009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Venky Venkateswaran & Randall Wright, 2013. "Pledgability and Liquidity: A New Monetarist Model of Financial and Macroeconomic Activity," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2013, Volume 28, pages 227-270 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillaume Rocheteau, 2009. "Information and liquidity: a discussion," Working Paper 0902, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.