Essential Interest-Bearing Money
AbstractIn this paper, I provide a rationale for why money should earn interest; or, what amounts to the same thing, why risk-free claims to non-interest-bearing money should trade at discount. I argue that interest-bearing money is essential when individual money balances are private information. The analysis also suggests one reason for why it is sufficient (as well as necessary) for interest to be paid only on large money balances; or equivalently, why bonds need only be issued in large denominations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4780.
Date of creation: 07 Sep 2007
Date of revision:
Money; Bonds; Monetary Policy; Friedman Rule;
Other versions of this item:
- David Andolfatto, 2009. "Essential interest-bearing money," Working Papers 2009-044, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- David Andolfatto, 2007. "Essential Interest-Bearing Money," Discussion Papers dp07-16, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- David Andolfatto, 2008. "Essential Interest-Bearing Money," EIEF Working Papers Series 0802, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Oct 2008.
- E4 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2007-09-16 (Central Banking)
- NEP-DGE-2007-09-16 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MAC-2007-09-16 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2007-09-16 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Narayana Kocherlakota, 2003.
"Societal Benefits of Illiquid Bonds,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
506439000000000300, David K. Levine.
- Levine, David K., 1991.
"Asset trading mechanisms and expansionary policy,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 148-164, June.
- Harold L. Cole & Narayana R. Kocherlakota, 1998. "Zero nominal interest rates: why they're good and how to get them," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 2-10.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2004.
"A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis,"
346, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2005. "A Unified Framework for Monetary Theory and Policy Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(3), pages 463-484, June.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2002. "A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis," Working Paper 0211, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Randall Wright, 2003.
"Money in Search Equilibrium, in Competitive Equilibrium, and in Competitive Search Equilibrium,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
03-031, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Randall Wright, 2005. "Money in Search Equilibrium, in Competitive Equilibrium, and in Competitive Search Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(1), pages 175-202, 01.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Randall Wright, 2004. "Money in search equilibrium, in competitive equilibrium, and in competitive search equilibrium," Working Paper 0405, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Randall Wright & Guillame Rocheteau, 2003. "Money in Search Equilibrium, in Competitive Equilibrium, and in Competitive Search Equilibrium," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000302, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2004.
"Inflation, output, and welfare,"
0407, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Miguel Molico, 2006. "The Distribution Of Money And Prices In Search Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(3), pages 701-722, 08.
- David Andolfatto, 2007.
"Incentives and the Limits to Deflationary Policy,"
dp07-14, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Shouyong Shi, 2006.
"Welfare Improvement from Restricting the Liquidity of Nominal Bonds,"
tecipa-212, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Shouyong Shi, 2006. "Welfare improvement from restricting the liquidity of nominal bonds," 2006 Meeting Papers 245, Society for Economic Dynamics.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.