Information and Prices with Capacity Constraints
AbstractIn the theoretical literature on consumer search, one conclusion is nearly universal: as buyers become better able to observe and compare prices ex ante, sellers will set lower prices in equilibrium. In this paper, I examine a standard consumer search model with one small -- yet often relevant -- additional restriction: I assume that sellers are capacity constrained. In this environment, I illustrate that the conventional wisdom regarding information and prices does not necessarily hold: having more informed consumers can lead to a decrease in prices, have no effect at all, or even lead to an increase in prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal American Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 101 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (June)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svend Albæk & Peter Møllgaard & Per Baltzer Overgaard, 1997.
"Government-Assisted Oligopoly Coordination? A Concrete Case,"
CIE Discussion Papers
1997-03, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Albaek, Svend & Mollgaard, Peter & Overgaard, Per B, 1997. "Government-Assisted Oligopoly Coordination? A Concrete Case," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 429-43, December.
- Kenneth Burdett & Shouyong Shi & Randall Wright, 2001. "Pricing and Matching with Frictions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(5), pages 1060-1085, October.
- Diamond, Peter A., 1971. "A model of price adjustment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 156-168, June.
- Pu-yan Nie, 2014. "Effects of capacity constraints on mixed duopoly," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 112(3), pages 283-294, July.
- Efraim Berkovich, 2011. "Search and herding effects in peer-to-peer lending: evidence from prosper.com," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 389-405, August.
- David M. Arseneau & Sanjay K. Chugh, 2008.
"Optimal fiscal and monetary policy in customer markets,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
919, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sanjay K. Chugh & David M. Arseneau, 2008. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy in Customer Markets," 2008 Meeting Papers 101, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- David M. Arseneau & Ryan Chahrour & Sanjay K. Chugh & Alan Finkelstein Shapiro, 2013. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy in Customer Markets," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 842, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pedro Gomis-Porqueras & Benoit Julien & Chengsi Wang, 2012.
"Informative Advertising in Directed Search,"
2012-26, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Gomis-Porqueras, Pedro & Julien, Benoit & Wang, Chengsi, 2010.
"Pricing, Advertising, and Market Structure with Frictions,"
25942, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pedro Gomis-Porqueras & Benoit Julien & Chengsi Wang, 2010. "Pricing, Advertising, and Market Structure with Frictions," Discussion Papers 2010-20, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Athanasios Geromichalos, 2012.
"Unemployment Insurance and Optimal Taxation in Search Models of the Labor Market,"
1218, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Athanasios Geromichalos, 2012. "Unemployment Insurance and Optimal Taxation in Search Models of the Labor Market," Working Papers 1219, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Espen Moen & Anna GodÃ¸y, 2013. "Mixed search," 2013 Meeting Papers 857, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Enchuan Shao, 2013. "The Threat of Counterfeiting in Competitive Search Equilibrium," Working Papers 13-22, Bank of Canada.
- Paulina Restrepo-Echavarria & Antonella Tutino & Anton Cheremukhin, 2013.
"A Theory of Targeted Search,"
2013 Meeting Papers
664, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Nie, Pu-yan & Chen, You-hua, 2012. "Duopoly competitions with capacity constrained input," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1715-1721.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.