Impact of Financial Regulation on Emerging Countries
AbstractThis article analyzes the potential impact of a higher level of capital and liquidity of banks on the credit penetration and the economic development in emerging countries. To do so, it employs an econometric exercise in two stages. In the first stage it is estimated the impact of capital and liquidity on the quantity and the price of credit. In the second stage it is quantified the impact of credit and its price on the GDP per capita. Thus, the impact of regulation on output is estimated using a chain rule. The article shows that in general the effects of capital and liquidity are higher in emerging countries in terms of banking penetration and GDP per capita.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department in its series Working Papers with number 1108.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2011
Date of revision:
Basel III; capital; liquidity; banking penetration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael Repullo & Jesús Saurina & Carlos Trucharte, 2009.
"Mitigating The Procyclicality Of Basel Ii,"
- Rafael Repullo & Jesús Saurina & Carlos Trucharte, 2010. "Mitigating the pro-cyclicality of Basel II," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1028, Banco de Espa�a.
- Repullo, Rafael & Saurina, Jesús & Trucharte, Carlos, 2009. "Mitigating the Procyclicality of Basel II," CEPR Discussion Papers 7382, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rojas-Suarez, Liliana, 2002.
"Can international capital standards strengthen banks in emerging markets?,"
Journal of Financial Transformation,
Capco Institute, vol. 5, pages 51-63.
- Liliana Rojas-Suarez, 2001. "Can International Capital Standards Strengthen Banks in Emerging Markets?," Working Paper Series WP01-10, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- John, Kose & John, Teresa A. & Saunders, Anthony, 1994. "Universal banking and firm risk-taking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 307-323, January.
- Liliana Rojas-Suarez, 2010. "The International Financial Crisis: Eight Lessons for and from Latin America," Working Papers 202, Center for Global Development.
- Ray Barrell & E Philip Davis & Tatiana Fic & Dawn Holland & Simon Kirby & Iana Liadze, 2009. "Optimal Regulation of Bank Capital and Liquidity: How to Calibrate New International Standards," Occasional Papers 38, Financial Services Authority.
- Gregorio Impavido & Heinz Rudolph & Luigi Ruggerone, 2013. "Bank Funding in Central, Eastern and South Eastern Europe Post Lehman," IMF Working Papers 13/148, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ANGIE CAROLINA SUAREZ SALAZAR).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.