Thinking beyond Basel III: Necessary Solutions for Capital and Liquidity
AbstractIn previous studies, the OECD has identified the main hallmarks of the crisis as too-big-to-fail institutions that took on too much risk; insolvency resulting from contagion and counterparty risk; the lack of regulatory and supervisory integration; and the lack of efficient resolution regimes. This article looks at how the Basel III proposals address these issues, helping to reduce the chance of another crisis like the current one. The Basel III capital proposals have some very useful elements, notably a leverage ratio, a capital buffer and the proposal to deal with pro-cyclicality through dynamic provisioning based on expected losses. However, this report also identifies some major concerns. For example, Basel III does not properly address the most fundamental regulatory problem that the “promises” that make up any financial system are not treated equally. This issue has many implications for the reform process, including reform of the structure of the supervision and regulation process and whether the shadow banking system should be incorporated into the regulatory framework – and, if so, how. Finally, modifications in the overall riskweighted asset framework are suggested that would deal with concentration issues.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by OECD Publishing in its journal OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends.
Volume (Year): 2010 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kapan, Tümer & Minoiu, Camelia, 2013. "Balance sheet strength and bank lending during the global financial crisis," Discussion Papers 33/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Khan, Haider, 2013. "Global Financial Governance: Towards a New Global Financial Architecture for Averting Deep Financial Crises," MPRA Paper 49275, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sørensen, Bent E & Yesiltas, Sevcan, 2011.
"Leverage Across Firms, Banks and Countries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8549, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sima, Adrian, 2012. "Financial (in)stability in Romania: the implications of Basel III," MPRA Paper 44434, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vogel, Heinz-Dieter & Bannier, Christina E. & Heidorn, Thomas, 2013. "Functions and characteristics of corporate and sovereign CDS," Frankfurt School - Working Paper Series 203, Frankfurt School of Finance and Management.
- Costangioara, Alexandru, 2011. "Consumer Credit Scoring," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(3), pages 162-177, September.
- Khan, Haider, 2013. "Deep Financial Crises, Reforming the IMF and Building Regional Autonomy:Towards a New Hybrid Global Financial Architecture," MPRA Paper 49514, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- TÃ¼mer Kapan & Camelia Minoiu, 2013. "Balance Sheet Strength and Bank Lending During the Global Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 13/102, International Monetary Fund.
- Damiano Brigo, 2011. "Counterparty Risk FAQ: Credit VaR, PFE, CVA, DVA, Closeout, Netting, Collateral, Re-hypothecation, WWR, Basel, Funding, CCDS and Margin Lending," Papers 1111.1331, arXiv.org, revised Jun 2012.
- Khan, Haider, 2013. "Basel III, BIS and Global Financial Governance," MPRA Paper 49513, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Georgi Petrov Georgiev, 2012. "Practical aspects in measuring and monitoring the liquidity risk pursuant to the Basel III international framework," Economic Thought journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 5, pages 144-164.
- Zdeněk Pavlík, 2012. "Potential Impacts of the New Banking Regulation on the Banking Sector in the Czech Republic. Current Questions," Acta Oeconomica Pragensia, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(3), pages 55-72.
- Collier, Benjamin, 2013. "Exclusive finance: How unmanaged systemic risk continues to limit financial services for the poor in a booming sector," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150433, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Gareth W. Peters & Rodrigo S. Targino & Pavel V. Shevchenko, 2013. "Understanding Operational Risk Capital Approximations: First and Second Orders," Papers 1303.2910, arXiv.org.
- Casselmann, Farina, 2013. "Financial services regulation in the wake of the crisis: The Capital Requirements Directive IV and the Capital Requirements Regulation," IPE Working Papers 18/2013, Berlin School of Economics and Law, Institute for International Political Economy (IPE).
- Adrian Blundell-Wignall & Caroline Roulet, 2012. "Business models of banks, leverage and the distance-to-default," OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2012(2), pages 7-34.
- Korte, Josef, 2013. "Catharsis - The real effects of bank insolvency and resolution," Discussion Papers 21/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.