Efficient Modeling and Forecasting of the Electricity Spot Price
AbstractThe increasing importance of renewable energy, especially solar and wind power, has led to new forces in the formation of electricity prices. Hence, this paper introduces an econometric model for the hourly time series of electricity prices of the European Energy Exchange (EEX) which incorporates specific features like renewable energy. The model consists of several sophisticated and established approaches and can be regarded as a periodic VAR-TARCH with wind power, solar power, and load as influences on the time series. It is able to map the distinct and well-known features of electricity prices in Germany. An efficient iteratively reweighted lasso approach is used for the estimation. Moreover, it is shown that several existing models are outperformed by the procedure developed in this paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1402.7027.
Date of creation: Feb 2014
Date of revision: Sep 2014
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-03-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2014-03-08 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ENE-2014-03-08 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-FOR-2014-03-08 (Forecasting)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bordignon, Silvano & Bunn, Derek W. & Lisi, Francesco & Nan, Fany, 2013. "Combining day-ahead forecasts for British electricity prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 88-103.
- Karakatsani, Nektaria V. & Bunn, Derek W., 2008. "Forecasting electricity prices: The impact of fundamentals and time-varying coefficients," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 764-785.
- Huisman, Ronald & Kilic, Mehtap, 2012. "Electricity Futures Prices: Indirect Storability, Expectations, and Risk Premiums," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 892-898.
- Keles, Dogan & Genoese, Massimo & Möst, Dominik & Fichtner, Wolf, 2012. "Comparison of extended mean-reversion and time series models for electricity spot price simulation considering negative prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 1012-1032.
- : Enzo Fanone & Andrea Gamba & Marcel Prokopczuk, 2011.
"The Case of Negative Day-Ahead Electricity Prices,"
Working Papers, Warwick Business School, Finance Group
wpn11-01, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Koopman, Siem Jan & Ooms, Marius & Carnero, M. Angeles, 2007.
"Periodic Seasonal Reg-ARFIMAGARCH Models for Daily Electricity Spot Prices,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 16-27, March.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Marius Ooms & M. Angeles Carnero, 2005. "Periodic Seasonal Reg-ARFIMA-GARCH Models for Daily Electricity Spot Prices," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers, Tinbergen Institute 05-091/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Cancelo, José Ramón & Espasa, Antoni & Grafe, Rosmarie, 2008. "Forecasting the electricity load from one day to one week ahead for the Spanish system operator," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 588-602.
- Hansheng Wang & Guodong Li & Chih-Ling Tsai, 2007. "Regression coefficient and autoregressive order shrinkage and selection via the lasso," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(1), pages 63-78.
- Rafal Weron, 2006. "Modeling and Forecasting Electricity Loads and Prices: A Statistical Approach," HSC Books, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology, number hsbook0601.
- Knittel, Christopher R. & Roberts, Michael R., 2005. "An empirical examination of restructured electricity prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 791-817, September.
- Kristiansen, Tarjei, 2012. "Forecasting Nord Pool day-ahead prices with an autoregressive model," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 328-332.
- Guthrie, Graeme & Videbeck, Steen, 2007. "Electricity spot price dynamics: Beyond financial models," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5614-5621, November.
- Rabemananjara, R & Zakoian, J M, 1993. "Threshold Arch Models and Asymmetries in Volatility," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(1), pages 31-49, Jan.-Marc.
- Liu, Heping & Shi, Jing, 2013. "Applying ARMA–GARCH approaches to forecasting short-term electricity prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 152-166.
- Hsu, Nan-Jung & Hung, Hung-Lin & Chang, Ya-Mei, 2008. "Subset selection for vector autoregressive processes using Lasso," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 3645-3657, March.
- repec:qut:auncer:2012_5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bruno Bosco & Lucia Parisio & Matteo Pelagatti, 2007. "Deregulated Wholesale Electricity Prices in Italy: An Empirical Analysis," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 415-432, November.
- Liebl, Dominik, 2013. "Modeling and Forecasting Electricity Spot Prices: A Functional Data Perspective," MPRA Paper 50881, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Edenhofer, Ottmar & Hirth, Lion & Knopf, Brigitte & Pahle, Michael & Schlömer, Steffen & Schmid, Eva & Ueckerdt, Falko, 2013. "On the economics of renewable energy sources," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(S1), pages S12-S23.
- Keles, Dogan & Genoese, Massimo & Möst, Dominik & Ortlieb, Sebastian & Fichtner, Wolf, 2013. "A combined modeling approach for wind power feed-in and electricity spot prices," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 213-225.
- Würzburg, Klaas & Labandeira, Xavier & Linares, Pedro, 2013. "Renewable generation and electricity prices: Taking stock and new evidence for Germany and Austria," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(S1), pages S159-S171.
- Christensen, T.M. & Hurn, A.S. & Lindsay, K.A., 2012. "Forecasting spikes in electricity prices," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 400-411.
- Bowden, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2008. "Short term forecasting of electricity prices for MISO hubs: Evidence from ARIMA-EGARCH models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 3186-3197, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.