Subset selection for vector autoregressive processes using Lasso
AbstractA subset selection method is proposed for vector autoregressive (VAR) processes using the Lasso [Tibshirani, R. (1996). Regression shrinkage and selection via the Lasso. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B 58, 267-288] technique. Simply speaking, Lasso is a shrinkage method in a regression setup which selects the model and estimates the parameters simultaneously. Compared to the conventional information-based methods such as AIC and BIC, the Lasso approach avoids computationally intensive and exhaustive search. On the other hand, compared to the existing subset selection methods with parameter constraints such as the top-down and bottom-up strategies, the Lasso method is computationally efficient and its result is robust to the order of series included in the autoregressive model. We derive the asymptotic theorem for the Lasso estimator under VAR processes. Simulation results demonstrate that the Lasso method performs better than several conventional subset selection methods for small samples in terms of prediction mean squared errors and estimation errors under various settings. The methodology is applied to modeling U.S. macroeconomic data for illustration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
Volume (Year): 52 (2008)
Issue (Month): 7 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans-Martin Krolzig & David Hendry, 1999.
"Computer Automation of General-to-Specific Model Selection Procedures,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1999
314, Society for Computational Economics.
- Krolzig, Hans-Martin & Hendry, David F., 2001. "Computer automation of general-to-specific model selection procedures," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(6-7), pages 831-866, June.
- David Hendry & Hans-Martin Krolzig, 2000. "Computer Automation of General-to-Specific Model Selection Procedures," Economics Series Working Papers 3, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Hans-Martin Krolzig, 2000. "Computer Automation of General-to-Specific Model Selection Procedures," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0411, Econometric Society.
- Fan J. & Li R., 2001. "Variable Selection via Nonconcave Penalized Likelihood and its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1348-1360, December.
- Chen, Changhua & Davis, Richard A. & Brockwell, Peter J., 1996. "Order Determination for Multivariate Autoregressive Processes Using Resampling Methods," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 175-190, May.
- Hansheng Wang & Guodong Li & Chih-Ling Tsai, 2007. "Regression coefficient and autoregressive order shrinkage and selection via the lasso," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(1), pages 63-78.
- Zou, Hui, 2006. "The Adaptive Lasso and Its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1418-1429, December.
- Penm, J. H. W. & Terrell, R. D., 1984. "Multivariate subset autoregressive modelling with zero constraints for detecting 'overall causality'," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 311-330, March.
- Marcelo C. Medeiros & Eduardo F. Mendes, 2012.
"Estimating High-Dimensional Time Series Models,"
CREATES Research Papers
2012-37, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Ren, Yunwen & Zhang, Xinsheng, 2010. "Subset selection for vector autoregressive processes via adaptive Lasso," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(23-24), pages 1705-1712, December.
- Audrino, Francesco & Camponovo, Lorenzo, 2013. "Oracle Properties and Finite Sample Inference of the Adaptive Lasso for Time Series Regression Models," Economics Working Paper Series 1327, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.