Patinkin, the cowles commission, and the theory of unemployment and aggregate supply
Abstract“For a long period before the writing of the first edition [of Money, Interest and Prices] I had been puzzled by the apparent contradiction between the intuitive feeling, on one hand, that there was a connection between a firm’s product-output and its labor-input, and the traditional demand curve for labor, on the other hand, that did not depend explicitly on output and whose sole independent variable was the real wage rate.” (Patinkin, 1989, p. xvi)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2001039.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Prinsstraat 13, B-2000 Antwerpen
Web page: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/faculties/applied-economic-sciences/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Mauro Boianovsky, 2002. "Patinkin, the Cowles Commission, and the theory of unemployment and aggregate supply," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 226-259.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leeson, Robert, 1998. "The Early Patinkin—Friedman Correspondence," Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(04), pages 433-448, December.
- Barro, Robert J & Grossman, Herschel I, 1971. "A General Disequilibrium Model of Income and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 82-93, March.
- Friedman, Milton, 1970.
"A Theoretical Framework for Monetary Analysis,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 193-238, March-Apr.
- Casarosa, Carlo, 1981. "The Microfoundations of Keynes's Aggregate Supply and Expected Demand Analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(361), pages 188-94, March.
- J. E. King, 1994. "Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis since Keynes: A Partial History," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 17(1), pages 3-31, October.
- John King, 1993.
"Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis Since Keynes: A Partial History,"
1993.16, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Grossman, Herschel I., 1969. "Theories of markets without recontracting," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 476-479, December.
- Asimakopulos, A, 1982. "Keynes' Theory of Effective Demand Revisited," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(38), pages 18-36, June.
- Lawrence R. Klein, 1947. "Theories of Effective Demand and Employment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55, pages 108.
- Karl Ove Moene & Asbjorn Rodseth, 1991. "Nobel Laureate: Trygve Haavelmo," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(3), pages 175-192, Summer.
- Goulven Rubin, 2002. "From equilibrium to disequilibrium: the genesis of Don Patinkin's interpretation of the Keynesian theory," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 205-225.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1989.
" Keynesian Issues and Economic Theory,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(2), pages 265-93.
- E. Roy Weintraub, 1974. "Keynes' Employment Function," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 162-164, Summer.
- Dutt, Amitava Krishna, 1987. "Keynes with a Perfectly Competitive Goods Market," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(49), pages 275-93, December.
- André K. Anundsen & Ragnar Nymoen & Tord S. Krogh & Jon Vislie, 2012. "The macroeconomics of Trygve Haavelmo," Nordic Journal of Political Economy, Nordic Journal of Political Economy, vol. 37, pages 2.
- Goulven Rubin, 2010.
"Don Patinkin's Ph.D. dissertation as the prehistory of disequilibrium theories,"
- Goulven Rubin, 2012. "Don Patinkin's PhD Dissertation as the Prehistory of Disequilibrium Theories," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 44(2), pages 235-276, Summer.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.