O Efeito do Programa Bolsa Família sobre a Oferta de Trabalho das Mães
AbstractThe impact of the Bolsa FamÃlia Program on the labor supply of working mothers - This paper investigates the existence of a possible adverse incentive on the labor supply and weekly working hours of beneficiary mothers of the Bolsa FamÃlia Program. Three control groups are analyzed using propensity-score matching to compare non-beneficiary mothers to beneficiary mothers. The results show that there is a wealth effect related to the value of the benefits, given that the larger the benefit, the less active beneficiary mothers are in the labor market. Nonetheless, the net effect is positive, showing that there is a substitution effect due to a reduction in the childrenÂ´s labor supply, a rise in the mother's available time, as well as decreasing the stigma.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics] in its series Anais do XXXVI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 36th Brazilian Economics Meeting] with number 200807211028050.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Secretaria da ANPEC Rua Tiradentes, 17 - Ingá Niterói, RJ 24210-510 Brazil
Phone: 55 21 2709 7154
Web page: http://www.anpec.org.br
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Tavares, Priscilla Albuquerque, 2010. "Efeito do Programa Bolsa Família sobre a oferta de trabalho das mães," Revista Economia e Sociedade, Instituto de Economia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP), vol. 41, pages 23, December.
- Priscilla Albuquerque Tavares, 2008. "Efeito Do Programa Bolsa Família Sobre A Oferta De Trabalho Das Maes," Anais do XIII Seminário sobre a Economia Mineira [Proceedings of the 13th Seminar on the Economy of Minas Gerais], in: Anais do XIII Seminário sobre a Economia Mineira [Proceedings of the 13th Seminar on the Economy of Minas Gerais] Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- J18 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Public Policy
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Firpo, Sergio & Pieri, Renan & Pedroso Jr., Euclides & Souza, Andre Portela, 2013. "Evidence of eligibility manipulation for conditional cash transfer programs," Textos para discussÃ£o 352, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Forbes, Kinisha, 2011. "Inequality in crisis and recovery : revealing the divides: the case of Brazil," ILO Working Papers 469849, International Labour Organization.
- Sergei Soares & Natália Sátyro, 2009. "O Programa Bolsa Família:Desenho Institucional,Impactos E Possibilidades Futuras," Discussion Papers 1424, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Rafael Novella & Laura Ripani & Guillermo Cruces & Maria Laura Alzuá, 2012. "Conditional Cash Transfers, Female Bargaining Power and Parental Labour Supply," IDB Publications 78223, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Sergei Suarez Dillon Soares, 2012. "Bolsa Família, its Design, its Impacts and Possibilities for the Future," Working Papers 89, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Leubolt, Bernhard, 2014. "Social policies and redistribution in Brazil," ILO Working Papers 485507, International Labour Organization.
- Lia Chitolina & Miguel Nathan Foguel & Naercio Menezes-Filho, 2013. "The Impact of the Expansion of the Bolsa Família Programme on the Time Allocation of Youths and Labour Supply of Adults," Working Papers 120, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- von Jacobi, Nadia, 2014. "Can the context mediate macro-policy outcomes? Contextual differences in the returns to Bolsa Familia in Brazil," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hugo E. A. da Gama Cerqueira).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.