World Trade Issues And Food Security
AbstractWhile economic growth has lifted more people from poverty than in any prior period, world market shocks of the 1970s and 1980s have caused a massive realignment in country policies, and future growth in population and income are expected to place heavy burdens on world resources. Recently, it has been suggested that a food crisis may be forthcoming as food production per capita has stagnated, risking a reversal of the long-term decline in the real price of food. This paper focuses on food security in this context, and concludes that a rise in the real price of food is likely, but not of a magnitude to create a food crisis. Nevertheless, those already in poverty may be placed at additional risk of nutritional deprivation. Policies for alleviating this possibility are available, but they entail more than just increasing food production.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy in its series Working Papers with number 14425.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 332 Classroom Office Bldg, 1994 Buford Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108-6040
Phone: (612) 625-8713
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.cifap.umn.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Food Security and Poverty; International Relations/Trade;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tanzi, Vito, 1986. "Fiscal Policy Responses to Exogenous Shocks in Developing Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 88-91, May.
- Gopinath, Munisamy & Arnade, Carlos & Shane, Mathew & Roe, Terry, 1997.
"Agricultural competitiveness: The case of the United States and major EU countries,"
Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 16(2), May.
- Gopinath, Munisamy & Arnade, Carlos & Shane, Mathew & Roe, Terry, 1997. "Agricultural competitiveness: The case of the United States and major EU countries," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 16(2), pages 99-109, May.
- Govindan, Kumaresan & Gopinath, Munisamy & Roe, Terry L., 1996. "Growth accounting, supply response and factor returns in general equilibrium: The case of Indonesia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 77-95.
- Garey Ramey & Valerie A. Ramey, 1994.
"Cross-Country Evidence on the Link Between Volatility and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
4959, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ramey, Garey & Ramey, Valerie A, 1995. "Cross-Country Evidence on the Link between Volatility and Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1138-51, December.
- Lal, Deepak & Myint, H., 1998. "The Political Economy of Poverty, Equity and Growth: A Comparative Study," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198294320, October.
- Grilli, Enzo R & Yang, Maw Cheng, 1988. "Primary Commodity Prices, Manufactured Goods Prices, and the Terms of Trade of Developing Countries: What the Long Run Shows," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 2(1), pages 1-47, January.
- Stanley Fischer, 1993.
"The Role of Macroeconomic Factors in Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
4565, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Schiff & Alberto Valdes, 1994. "The Plundering of Agriculture in Developing Countries," Reports _013, World Bank Latin America and the Caribean Region Department.
- Balassa, Bela, 1986. "Policy Responses to Exogenous Shocks in Developing Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 75-78, May.
- Alam, Asad & Rajapatirana, Sarath, 1993. "Trade policy reform in Latin America and the Caribbean in the 1980s," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1104, The World Bank.
- Senauer, Benjamin & Roe, Terry L., 1997. "Food Security And The Household," Working Papers 14452, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.