Agricultural competitiveness: The case of the United States and major EU countries
AbstractGrowth in the agricultural GDP of four major European countries is compared with US agricultural growth for the period 1974-1993. The agricultural sector's relative prices are taken into account along with economy-wide factor market adjustments. For Denmark, France, Germany and the UK, the effects of declining real prices and changes in input levels on growth in agricultural GDP are relatively small. Total Factor Productivity (TFP) growth appears to be the major contributor to European agricultural GDP growth. In comparison, TFP is the major source of growth in US agricultural GDP, but its rate of growth is lower than the European countries. In contrast, the declining real prices for US agriculture had a relatively large effect on its GDP. However, in recent years, the effects of declining real prices and declining rates of growth in TFP on European agriculture are relatively large. In the longer-run, the relative competitiveness of US agriculture is largely dependent on its ability to sustain and increase growth in TFP. Â© 1997 Elsevier Science B.V.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell in its journal Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 16 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/loi/agec
Other versions of this item:
- Gopinath, Munisamy & Arnade, Carlos & Shane, Mathew & Roe, Terry, 1997. "Agricultural competitiveness: The case of the United States and major EU countries," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 16(2), May.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1993.
"Making a Miracle,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(2), pages 251-72, March.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S71-102, October.
- Munisamy, Gopinath & Roe, Terry L., 1995. "Sources of Sectoral Growth in an Economy Wide Context: The Case of U.S. Agriculture," Bulletins 7454, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- W.E. Diewert & Catherine J. Morrison, 1985.
"Adjusting Output and Productivity Indexes for Changes in the Terms of Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
1564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewart, W Erwin & Morrison, Catherine J, 1986. "Adjusting Output and Productivity Indexes for Changes in the Terms of Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(383), pages 659-79, September.
- Huffman, Wallace E. & Evenson, Robert E., 2006.
"Science for Agriculture: A Long Term Perspective,"
Staff General Research Papers
12362, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Ball, V Eldon, et al, 1993. "The Stock of Capital in European Community Agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 20(4), pages 437-50.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1980. "Aggregation Problems in the Measurement of Capital," NBER Chapters, in: The Measurement of Capital, pages 433-538 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ulrich Kohli, 1993. "GNP Growth Accounting in the Open Economy: Parametric and Nonparametric Estimates for Switzerland," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 129(IV), pages 601-615, December.
- Gopinath, Munisamy & Roe, Terry L., 1996. "Sources Of Growth In U.S. Gdp And Economy-Wide Linkages To The Agricultural Sector," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(02), December.
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 1995. "A Comparison Of Three Nonparametric Measures Of Productivity Growth In European And United States Agriculture," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 309-326.
- repec:fth:minnde:95-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Xinshen Diao & Terry Roe & Agapi Somwaru, 2001.
"What is the Cause of Growth in Regional Trade: Trade Liberalisation or RTAs? The Case of Agriculture,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 51-79, 01.
- Diao, Xinshen & Roe, Terry L. & Somwaru, Agapi, 1999. "What Is The Cause Of Growth In Regional Trade: Trade Liberalization Or Rta'S? The Case Of Agriculture," Working Papers 14605, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Jahan, Nilufar & Smith, Perry & Rodriguez, Gil, 2003. "An analysis of the growth of the Australian dairy and meat processing sectors," Australasian Agribusiness Review, University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 11.
- Mullen, John D. & Scobie, Grant M. & Crean, Jason, 2006.
"Trends in Research, Productivity Growth and Competitiveness in Agriculture in New Zealand and Australia,"
2006 Conference, August 24-25, 2006, Nelson, New Zealand
31965, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Mullen, John D. & Scobie, Grant M. & Crean, Jason, 2006. "Trends in Research, Productivity Growth and Competitiveness in Agriculture in New Zealand and Australia," 2006 Conference, August 24-25, 2006, Nelson, New Zealand 31965, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Bazen, Ernest F. & Roberts, Roland K. & Travis, John & Larson, James A., 2008. "Factors Affecting Hay Supply and Demand in Tennessee," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6889, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Roe, Terry L. & Gopinath, Munisamy, 1996. "World Trade Issues And Food Security," Working Papers 14425, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy.
- Jahan, Nilufar & Smith, Perry & Rodriguez, Gil, 2002. "An analysis of the growth of the Australian dairy and meat processing industries," 2002 Conference (46th), February 13-15, 2002, Canberra 125113, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.