The Value of Recreational Inshore Marine Fishing
AbstractThe relative values of New Zealand commercial and recreational marine fishing are unknown. Value transfer is applied to assess the likely value of inshore marine recreational fishing. The few relevant studies available report widely differing estimates of value. However, there is sufficient evidence to indicate that the value of recreational fishing is of the same order of magnitude as commercial fishing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its series 2011 Conference, August 25-26, 2011, Nelson, New Zealand with number 115408.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Value transfer; recreational fishing; Environmental Economics and Policy;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2011-10-15 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2011-10-15 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Trudy Ann Cameron, 1992. "Combining Contingent Valuation and Travel Cost Data for the Valuation of Nonmarket Goods," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(3), pages 302-317.
- Wheeler, Sarah Ann & Damania, Richard, 2001. "Valuing New Zealand recreational fishing and an assessment of the validity of the contingent valuation estimates," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 45(4), December.
- Kevin J. Boyle & Nicolai V. Kuminoff & Christopher F. Parmeter & Jaren C. Pope, 2009. "Necessary Conditions for Valid Benefit Transfers," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1328-1334.
- Downing, Mark & Ozuna, Teofilo Jr., 1996. "Testing the Reliability of the Benefit Function Transfer Approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 316-322, May.
- Zhang, Jing & Hertzler, Greg & Burton, Michael P., 2003. "Valuing Western Australia’s Recreational Fisheries," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 58275, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Raguragavan, Jananee & Hailu, Atakelty & Burton, Michael P., 2010. "Economic valuation of recreational fishing in Western Australia," Working Papers 97473, University of Western Australia, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Morey, Edward R. & Shaw, W. Douglass & Rowe, Robert D., 1991. "A discrete-choice model of recreational participation, site choice, and activity valuation when complete trip data are not available," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 181-201, March.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Leonard, Gregory K. & McFadden, Daniel, 1995. "A utility-consistent, combined discrete choice and count data model Assessing recreational use losses due to natural resource damage," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Cullen, Ross & Hughey, Kenneth F.D. & Kerr, Geoffrey N., 2006.
"Public Perceptions of New Zealand's Environment,"
2006 Conference, August 24-25, 2006, Nelson, New Zealand
31958, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Cullen, Ross & Hughey, Kenneth F.D. & Kerr, Geoffrey N., 2006. "Public Perceptions of New Zealand's Environment," 2006 Conference, August 24-25, 2006, Nelson, New Zealand 31958, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Prayaga, Prabha & Rolfe, John & Stoeckl, Natalie, 2010. "The value of recreational fishing in the Great Barrier Reef, Australia: A pooled revealed preference and contingent behaviour model," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 244-251, March.
- Bell, Frederick W., 1997. "The economic valuation of saltwater marsh supporting marine recreational fishing in the southeastern United States," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 243-254, June.
- Dadi Kristofersson & Ståle Navrud, 2005. "Validity Tests of Benefit Transfer – Are We Performing the Wrong Tests?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 30(3), pages 279-286, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.