The Value of Recreational Inshore Marine Fishing
AbstractThe relative values of New Zealand commercial and recreational marine fishing are unknown. Value transfer is applied to assess the likely value of inshore marine recreational fishing. The few relevant studies available report widely differing estimates of value. However, there is sufficient evidence to indicate that the value of recreational fishing is of the same order of magnitude as commercial fishing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its series 2011 Conference, August 25-26, 2011, Nelson, New Zealand with number 115408.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Value transfer; recreational fishing; Environmental Economics and Policy;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2011-10-15 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2011-10-15 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dadi Kristofersson & Ståle Navrud, 2005. "Validity Tests of Benefit Transfer – Are We Performing the Wrong Tests?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 30(3), pages 279-286, 03.
- Johnston, Robert J. & Ranson, Matthew H. & Besedin, Elena Y. & Helm, Erik C., 2006. "What Determines Willingness to Pay per Fish? A Meta-Analysis of Recreational Fishing Values," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 21(1).
- Morey, Edward R. & Shaw, W. Douglass & Rowe, Robert D., 1991. "A discrete-choice model of recreational participation, site choice, and activity valuation when complete trip data are not available," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 181-201, March.
- Raguragavan, Jananee & Hailu, Atakelty & Burton, Michael P., 2010. "Economic valuation of recreational fishing in Western Australia," Working Papers 97473, University of Western Australia, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Wheeler, Sarah Ann & Damania, Richard, 2001. "Valuing New Zealand recreational fishing and an assessment of the validity of the contingent valuation estimates," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 45(4), December.
- Prayaga, Prabha & Rolfe, John & Stoeckl, Natalie, 2010. "The value of recreational fishing in the Great Barrier Reef, Australia: A pooled revealed preference and contingent behaviour model," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 244-251, March.
- Trudy Ann Cameron, 1992. "Combining Contingent Valuation and Travel Cost Data for the Valuation of Nonmarket Goods," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(3), pages 302-317.
- Zhang, Jing & Hertzler, Greg & Burton, Michael P., 2003. "Valuing Western Australia’s Recreational Fisheries," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 58275, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Bell, Frederick W., 1997. "The economic valuation of saltwater marsh supporting marine recreational fishing in the southeastern United States," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 243-254, June.
- Whitehead, John C. & Haab, Timothy C., 1999. "Southeast Marine Recreational Fishery Statistical Survey: Distance And Catch Based Choice Sets," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 14(4).
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Leonard, Gregory K. & McFadden, Daniel, 1995. "A utility-consistent, combined discrete choice and count data model Assessing recreational use losses due to natural resource damage," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Downing, Mark & Ozuna, Teofilo Jr., 1996. "Testing the Reliability of the Benefit Function Transfer Approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 316-322, May.
- Cullen, Ross & Hughey, Kenneth F.D. & Kerr, Geoffrey N., 2006.
"Public Perceptions of New Zealand's Environment,"
2006 Conference, August 24-25, 2006, Nelson, New Zealand
31958, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Cullen, Ross & Hughey, Kenneth F.D. & Kerr, Geoffrey N., 2006. "Public Perceptions of New Zealand's Environment," 2006 Conference, August 24-25, 2006, Nelson, New Zealand 31958, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Kevin J. Boyle & Nicolai V. Kuminoff & Christopher F. Parmeter & Jaren C. Pope, 2009. "Necessary Conditions for Valid Benefit Transfers," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1328-1334.
- Freeman, A. Myrick, III, 1995. "The Benefits Of Water Quality Improvement For Marine Recreation: A Review Of The Empirical Evidence," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 10(4).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.