Optimal Length of Moving Average to Forecast Futures Basis
AbstractFutures prices when combined with a basis forecast provide a reliable way to forecast cash prices. The most popular method of forecasting basis is historical moving averages. Given the recent failure of longer moving averages proposed by previous studies, this research reassesses past recommendations about the best length of moving average to use in forecasting basis. This research compares practical preharvest and storage period basis forecasts for hard wheat, soft wheat, corn and soybeans to identify the optimal amount of historical information to include in moving average forecasts. Only with preharvest hard wheat forecasts are the best moving averages longer than 3 years. The differences in forecast accuracy among the different moving averages are small and in most cases the differences are not statistically significant. The recommendation is to use longer moving averages during time periods (or at locations) when there have been no structural changes and use last year’s basis after it appears that a structural change has occurred.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management in its series 2009 Conference, April 20-21, 2009, St. Louis, Missouri with number 53048.
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 326 Mumford Hall, MC-710, 1301 West Gregory Drive, Urbana, Illinois, 61801
Phone: (217) 333-1810
Fax: (217) 333-5538
Web page: http://www.farmdoc.uiuc.edu/nccc134/
More information through EDIRC
Basis forecast; grain; Law of One Price; moving averages; structural change; Agribusiness; Agricultural and Food Policy; Agricultural Finance; Crop Production/Industries; Farm Management; Financial Economics; Marketing; Research Methods/ Statistical Methods; Risk and Uncertainty;
Other versions of this item:
- Hatchett, Robert B. & Brorsen, B. Wade & Anderson, Kim B., 2010. "Optimal Length of Moving Average to Forecast Futures Basis," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35(1), April.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim, Hyun Seok & Brorsen, B. Wade & Anderson, Kim B., 2007.
"Profit Margin Hedging,"
2007 Conference, April 16-17, 2007, Chicago, Illinois
37570, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- B. Wade Brorsen & John Coombs & Kim Anderson, 1995. "The cost of forward contracting wheat," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 349-354.
- Chernov, Mikhail & Gallant, A. Ronald & Ghysels, Eric & Tauchen, George, 2002.
"Alternative Models for Stock Price Dynamic,"
02-03, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Dabin Wang & William G. Tomek, 2007. "Commodity Prices and Unit Root Tests," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(4), pages 873-889.
- Klumpp, Joni M. & Brorsen, B. Wade & Anderson, Kim B., 2007. "Determining Returns to Storage: Does Data Aggregation Matter," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(03), December.
- Townsend, John P. & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2000.
"Cost Of Forward Contracting Hard Red Winter Wheat,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(01), April.
- Townsend, John P. & Brorsen, B. Wade, 1997. "Cost of Forward Contracting Hard Red Winter Wheat," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35749, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Taylor, Mykel R. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C. & Kastens, Terry L., 2004. "Incorporating Current Information Into Historical-Average-Based Forecasts To Improve Crop Price Basis Forecasts," 2004 Conference, April 19-20, 2004, St. Louis, Missouri 19022, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Diaz, Edgar F. Pebe & Brorsen, B. Wade & Anderson, Kim B. & Richter, Francisca G.-C. & Kenkel, Philip L., 2002. "The Effect Of Rounding On The Probability Distribution Of Regrading In The U.S. Peanut Industry," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 20(1).
- Marie Coiffard & Laëtitia Guilhot, 2012. "Migrations internationales : la mobilité des Hommes, facteur d'intégration régionale en Asie Orientale ?," Post-Print halshs-00755102, HAL.
- Lee, Yoonsuk & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2012. "Impacts of Permanent and Transitory Shocks on Optimal Length of Moving Average to Predict Wheat Basis," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 125001, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.