How can allocative inefficiency reveal risk preference? An empirical investigation on French wheat farms
AbstractWe focus on a simple framework on wheat producer behaviour in a context of price output uncertainty. More precisely, we establish a relationship between ex post output price level and allocative inefficiency that allows to characterize farmers’ risk preferences. Given this analysis, the connection between risk aversion and other socioeconomic variables (such as degree of output specialisation, total asset, debts, farmer’s age…) can furthermore empirically be explored. This relationship is empirically tested on an unbalanced panel including about 650 wheat producers located in the French Department of Meuse over 1992- 2003.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium with number 44208.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Producer behaviour; allocative inefficiency; risk aversion; Crop Production/Industries; Risk and Uncertainty;
Other versions of this item:
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & David Crainich & Hervé Leleu, 2008. "How can allocative inefficiency reveal risk preference? An empirical investigation on French wheat farms," Working Papers 2008-ECO-02, IESEG School of Management.
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Hennessy, David A., 2001.
"Uncertainty, Risk Aversion, and Risk Management for Agricultural Producers,"
Staff General Research Papers
5323, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Moschini, Giancarlo & Hennessy, David A., 2001. "Uncertainty, risk aversion, and risk management for agricultural producers," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 88-153 Elsevier.
- Chambers, Robert G, 1983. "Scale and Productivity Measurement under Risk," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 802-05, September.
- Shahabuddin, Quazi & Mestelman, Stuart & Feeny, David, 1986. "Peasant Behaviour towards Risk and Socio-Economic and Structural Characteristics of Farm Households in Bangladesh," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(1), pages 122-30, March.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2002. "Risk preference and productivity measurement under output price uncertainty," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 461-472.
- Just, Richard E. & Pope, Rulon D., 1978. "Stochastic specification of production functions and economic implications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Robert G. Chambers & John Quiggin, 2002. "The State-Contingent Properties of Stochastic Production Functions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(2), pages 513-526.
- repec:feb:artefa:0008 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.