Risk preference and productivity measurement under output price uncertainty
AbstractThis paper deals with joint estimation of production and risk preference functions in the presence of output price uncertainty. We use quadratic production and utility functions under the assumption that producers maximize expected utility of anticipated profit. A panel data on Norwegian salmon farms is used for this purpose. Empirical results show that all salmon farmers are risk averse. Relative risk premium (the implicit cost of private risk bearing) is found to be about 15% of mean profit. We also find rapid technological change taking place (3.75% per year) in the salmon farming industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Note: received: February 2000/Final version received: February 2001
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Blancard, Stephane & Boussemart, Jean-Philippe & Crainich, D. & Leleu, Herve, 2008.
"How can allocative inefficiency reveal risk preference? An empirical investigation on French wheat farms,"
2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium
44208, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & David Crainich & Hervé Leleu, 2008. "How can allocative inefficiency reveal risk preference? An empirical investigation on French wheat farms," Working Papers 2008-ECO-02, IESEG School of Management.
- Jean-Philippe Boussemart & David Crainich & Hervé Leleu, 2012. "A decomposition of profit inefficiency into price expectation error, preferences towards risk and technical inefficiency," Working Papers 2012-ECO-04, IESEG School of Management.
- Xavier Vollenweider & Salvatore Di Falco & Cathal O’Donoghue, 2011.
"Risk preferences and voluntary agrienvironmental schemes: does risk aversion explain the uptake of the Rural Environment Protection Scheme?,"
Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment Working Papers
48, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Vollenweider, Xavier & Di Falco, Salvatore & O'Donoghue, Cathal, 2011. "Risk Preferences and Voluntary Agri-environmental Schemes: Does Risk Aversion Explain the Uptake of the Rural Environment Protection Scheme?," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 115552, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Alghalith Moawia, 2005. "Hedging under price and output uncertainty: estimation methodology," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 1(5), pages 309-312, September.
- Koundouri, Phoebe & Laukkanen, Marita, 2004.
"Stochastic Production in a Regulated Fishery:The Importance of Risk Considerations,"
41912, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Phoebe Koundouri & Marita Laukkanen, . "Stochastic Production in a Regulated Fishery:The Importance of Risk Considerations," DEOS Working Papers 0403, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Ndoye Niane, Aifa Fatimata & Burger, Kees, 2012. "Gender and Experimental Measurement of Producers Risk Attitude Towards Output Market Price and its Effects on Economic Performance," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126928, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tomasz Gerard Czekaj & Arne Henningsen, 2013. "Panel Data Nonparametric Estimation of Production Risk and Risk Preferences: An Application to Polish Dairy Farms," IFRO Working Paper 2013/6, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Christophe Tavera, 2011.
"More evidence on technological catching-up in the manufacturing sector,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(18), pages 2321-2330.
- Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Christophe Tavera, 2007. "More evidence on technological catching-up in the manufacturing sector," Working Papers 2007-ECO-02, IESEG School of Management.
- Elie Appelbaum & Alan D. Woodland, 2010.
"The Effects of Foreign Price Uncertainty on Australian Production and Trade,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 86(273), pages 162-177, 06.
- Elie Appelbaum & Alan D. Woodland, 2008. "The Effects of Foreign Price Uncertainty on Australian Production and Trade," Working Papers 2008_03, York University, Department of Economics.
- Ceddia, M.G. & Heikkil, J. & Peltola, J., 2009. "Managing invasive alien species with professional and hobby farmers: Insights from ecological-economic modelling," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(5), pages 1366-1374, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.