Production Risk and Technical Inefficiency in Russian Agriculture
AbstractThis paper aims to contribute to a better understanding of possible causes of considerable production variability that characterised Russian agriculture during the last decade. The study investigates production risk and technical inefficiency as two sources that influence production variability. Using panel data from 1996 to 2001, an empirical analysis of 443 large agricultural enterprises from three regions in central, southern and Volga Russia is conducted. A production function specification accounting for the effect of inputs on both risk and technical inefficiency is found to describe production technologies of Russian farms more appropriately than the traditional stochastic frontier formulation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark with number 24610.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
production risk; technical efficiency; panel data; Russian agriculture; Production Economics; D81; Q12;
Other versions of this item:
- Raushan Bokusheva & Heinrich Hockmann, 2006. "Production risk and technical inefficiency in Russian agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(1), pages 93-118, March.
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2002. "Specification and Estimation of Production Risk, Risk Preferences and Technical Efficiency," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 8-22.
- Sedik, David & Trueblood, Michael & Arnade, Carlos, 1999. "Corporate Farm Performance in Russia, 1991-1995: An Efficiency Analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 514-533, September.
- Macours, Karen & Swinnen, Johan F M, 2002. "Patterns of Agrarian Transition," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(2), pages 365-94, January.
- Bezlepkina, Irina V. & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M., 2003. "Liquidity And Productivity In Russian Agriculture: Farm-Data Evidence," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25824, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Osborne, Stefan & Trueblood, Michael A., 2002. "Agricultural Productivity And Efficiency In Russia And Ukraine: Building On A Decade Of Reform," Agricultural Economics Reports 33937, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Battese, G. E. & Rambaldi, A. N. & Wan, G. H., 1995. "A Stochastic Frontier Production Function with Flexible Risk Properties," 1995 Conference (39th), February 14-16, 1995, Perth, Australia 148840, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Just, Richard E. & Pope, Rulon D., 1978. "Stochastic specification of production functions and economic implications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., .
"Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998. "Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Macours, Karen & Swinnen, Johan F. M., 2000. "Causes of Output Decline in Economic Transition: The Case of Central and Eastern European Agriculture," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 172-206, March.
- Brooks, Karen & Gardner, Bruce, 2004. "Russian Agriculture in the Transition to a Market Economy," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(3), pages 571-86, April.
- Sotnikov, Sergey, 1998. "Evaluating the Effects of Price and Trade Liberalisation on the Technical Efficiency of Agricultural Production in a Transition Economy: The Case of Russia," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(3), pages 412-31.
- Edward R. Morey, 1986. "An Introduction to Checking, Testing, and Imposing Curvature Properties: The True Function and the Estimated Function," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(2), pages 207-35, May.
- Liefert, William M. & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2002. "Changes In Agricultural Markets In Transition Economies," Agricultural Economics Reports 33945, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- William M. Liefert, 2002. "Comparative (Dis?) Advantage in Russian Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 762-767.
- Hahlbrock, Konstantin & Hockmann, Heinrich, 2011. "Influence Of The Integration Of Agroholdings With Russian Farms On Total Factor Productivity And Its Subcomponents," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114508, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Bokusheva, Raushan & Kumbhakar, Subal C., 2008. "Modelling Farms' Production Decisions Under Expenditure Constraints," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6641, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Cagdas, Ali D. & Jeffrey, Scott R. & Smith, Elwin G. & Boxall, Peter C., 2013. "Adoption of BMPs and technical inefficiency in Canadian canola production," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150200, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Arne Henningsen & Christian Henning, 2009. "Imposing regional monotonicity on translog stochastic production frontiers with a simple three-step procedure," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 217-229, December.
- Hockmann, Heinrich & Gataulina, Ekaterina & Hahlbrock, Konstantin, 2011. "Risk, Technical Efficiency And Market Transaction Costs In Different Organisational Forms: Evidence From The Oblast Tatarstan," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114510, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Cechura, Lukas & Hockmann, Heinrich, 2011. "Efficiency and Heterogeneity in Czech Food Processing Industry," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114314, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sannikova, Marina & Bukusheva, Raushan, 2007. "Instruments Reducing Climatic Risk for Russian Agriculture," 101st Seminar, July 5-6, 2007, Berlin Germany 9271, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Heidelbach, Olaf, 2007. "Efficiency of selected risk management instruments: An empirical analysis of risk reduction in Kazakhstani crop production," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 40, number 92323, July.
- Hockmann, Heinrich & Gataulina, Ekaterina, 2012. "The Significance of Market Transaction Costs, Technical Efficiency and Risk in Agriculture: An Empirical Analysis for Tatarstan Republic," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126676, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bojnec, Štefan & Fertő, Imre & Jámbor, Attila & Tóth, József, 2010. "Institutions, policy reforms and efficiency in new member states from Centraland Eastern Europe," IAMO Forum 2010: Institutions in Transition â Challenges for New Modes of Governance 52712, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Ogundari, Kolawole & Akinbogun, Olajide O., 2010. "Modeling Technical Efficiency with Production Risk: A Study of Fish Farms in Nigeria," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 25(3).
- Carol Newman, 2006. "The impact of globalisation and trade on the productivity performance of the Irish food manufacturing sector," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp180, IIIS.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.