The Impact of Crop Insurance on the Economic Performance of Hungarian Cropping Farms
AbstractCrop insurance products can improve and stabilize economic performance. However, due to insurance market imperfections, the use of insurance products often requires governmental support. This paper analyses the actual impact of insurance products on the economic performance of cropping farms by linking the economic performance model with the insurance demand model. For this analysis, a simultaneous equation system is solved. Our estimations show a negative impact of insurance on the economic performance indicators farm profit, labour productivity and land productivity. The analysis of the insurance demand side confirms financial limitations of many farms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland with number 122525.
Date of creation: 23 Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Hungary; Crop Insurance; 2SCML; Impact evaluation; Risk and Uncertainty; Q12; Q14; G22;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q14 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Finance
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-05-15 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-IAS-2012-05-15 (Insurance Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marian Rizov & Erik Mathijs, 2003. "Farm Survival and Growth in Transition Economies: Theory and Empirical Evidence from Hungary," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 227-242.
- Bruce J. Sherrick & Peter J. Barry & Paul N. Ellinger & Gary D. Schnitkey, 2004. "Factors Influencing Farmers' Crop Insurance Decisions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 103-114.
- Lajos Zoltan Bakucs & Laure Latruffe & Imre Fertő & Jozsef Fogarasi, 2010. "The impact of EU accession on farms' technical efficiency in Hungary," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 165-175.
- Bakucs, Lajos Zoltan & Ferto, Imre & Latruffe, Laure & Desjeux, Yann & Soboh, Rafat & Dolman, Mark, 2011. "Comparative Analysis of Technical Efficiency in European Agriculture," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114235, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & El-Osta, Hisham S. & Johnson, James D., 1999. "Factors Contributing To Earnings Success Of Cash Grain Farms," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(03), December.
- Enjolras, Geoffroy & Sentis, P., 2008.
"The Main Determinants of Insurance Purchase: An Empirical Study on Crop Insurance Policies in France,"
2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium
44395, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Geoffroy Enjolras & Patrick Sentis, 2008. "The main determinants of insurance purchase. An empirical study on crop insurance policies in France," Working Papers 08-06, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Apr 2008.
- Gloy, Brent A. & Hyde, Jeffrey & LaDue, Eddy L., 2002. "Dairy Farm Management and Long-Term Farm Financial Performance," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 31(2), October.
- Bezlepkina, Irina V. & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M., 2003. "Liquidity And Productivity In Russian Agriculture: Farm-Data Evidence," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25824, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Purdy, Barry M. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Featherstone, Allen M., 1997. "Financial Performance, Risk, And Specialization," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(01), July.
- Stefan Bojnec & Laure Latruffe, 2009. "Determinants of technical efficiency of Slovenian farms," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 117-124.
- Rivers, Douglas & Vuong, Quang H., 1988. "Limited information estimators and exogeneity tests for simultaneous probit models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 347-366, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.