Belief in Disaster Relief and the Demand for a Public-Private Insurance Program
AbstractProducers' demand for a public-private crop insurance program in the Netherlands is surveyed. A novel aspect was the inclusion of the producer's belief in disaster relief. Despite emphatic assertions that future governmental involvement would only be directed at a hypothetical insurance program, the participation decision was negatively and significantly associated with the producer's belief about the availability of disaster relief in the future. So, if governments continue to provide (free) ad hoc disaster relief, an important incentive to participate would be severely undermined. However, the conditional decision about the amount was not affected. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 24 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Enjolras, Geoffroy & Sentis, P., 2008.
"The Main Determinants of Insurance Purchase: An Empirical Study on Crop Insurance Policies in France,"
2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium
44395, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Geoffroy Enjolras & Patrick Sentis, 2008. "The main determinants of insurance purchase. An empirical study on crop insurance policies in France," Working Papers 08-06, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Apr 2008.
- Heidelbach, Olaf, 2007. "Efficiency of selected risk management instruments: An empirical analysis of risk reduction in Kazakhstani crop production," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 40, number 92323.
- Paul A. Raschky & Reimund Schwarze & Manijeh Schwindt & Ferdinand Zahn, 2010.
"Uncertainty of Governmental Relief and the Crowding out of Insurance,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
05-10, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Paul A. Raschky & Reimund Schwarze & Manijeh Schwindt & Ferdinand Zahn, . "Uncertainty of Governmental Relief and the Crowding out of Insurance," Working Papers 2010-03, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Paul Raschky & Hannelore Weck-Hannemann, 2007. "Charity hazard - A real hazard to natural disaster insurance," Working Papers 2007-04, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Di Falco, Salvatore & Capitanio, Fabian & Adinolfi, Felice, 2011. "Natural Vs Financial Insurance in the Management of Weather Risk Exposure in the Italian Agriculture," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114325, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.