Subsidies, production structure and technical change – A cross-country comparison
AbstractThe effect of subsidies on production and technical change of crop farms in France and the United Kingdom (UK) during 1980-2006 is investigated. Subsidies were not neutral on production decisions, in terms of production intensity and type. Crop farms in both countries have experienced technical progress during the period studied, higher in France. Technical progress has favoured labour and chemicals in both countries, land in France, capital in the UK, while it has disfavoured land in the UK and capital in France. Technical change has been slowed down by crop area subsidies but increased by agri-environmental subsidies in both countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany with number 61109.
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision:
technical change; subsidies; input bias; crop farms; Agricultural and Food Policy; Farm Management; Land Economics/Use;
Other versions of this item:
- Latruffe, Laure & Sauer, Johannes, 2010. "Subsidies, Production Structure and Technical Change: A Cross-Country Comparison," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61148, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- NEP-AGR-2010-05-22 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2010-05-22 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morrison Paul, Catherine J. & Sauer, Johannes, 2010.
"Distinguishing Different Industry Technologies and Localized Technical Change,"
2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado
61146, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Morrison Paul, Catherine J. & Sauer, Johannes, 2010. "Distinguishing Different Industry Technologies and Localized Technical Change," 84th Annual Conference, March 29-31, 2010, Edinburgh, Scotland 91749, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Sauer, Johannes & Morrison Paul, Catherine J., 2011. "Distinguishing Different Industry Technologies and Localized Technical Change," 122nd Seminar, February 17-18, 2011, Ancona, Italy 99834, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Paul, Catherine J. Morrison & Nehring, Richard, 2005. "Product diversification, production systems, and economic performance in U.S. agricultural production," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 525-548, June.
- Brummer, B. & Glauben, T. & Lu, W., 2006. "Policy reform and productivity change in Chinese agriculture: A distance function approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 61-79, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.