Investigating The Economic And Water Quality Effects Of The 2003 Cap Reform On Arable Cropping Systems: A Scottish Case Study
AbstractThe 2003 Common Agricultural Policy Reform aimed to promote the socio-economic and environmental sustainability of agricultural systems. An important question is how far the Reform has indeed encouraged farmers to contribute to achieving broad economic and environmental goals. The economic and water resource effects of the Reform have been explored for the case study area of the Lunan catchment, which is typical of Scottish arable cropping areas. Land use data analysis, bio-physical modelling and bio-economic modelling were used in combination to identify the effects of a range of scenarios. The results indicate only small changes in the cropping pattern and associated economic and water quality indicators as a result of the Reform, with the main changes in farmers' decision making being explained by crop price changes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 109th Seminar, November 20-21, 2008, Viterbo, Italy with number 44797.
Date of creation: 12 Nov 2008
Date of revision:
Common Agricultural Policy; bio-economic modelling; water; land use; Scotland.; Agricultural and Food Policy; Research Methods/ Statistical Methods; Q10; Q18; Q25.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q10 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - General
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ruben, Ruerd & Moll, Henk & Kuyvenhoven, Arie, 1998. "Integrating agricultural research and policy analysis: analytical framework and policy applications for bio-economic modelling," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 331-349, November.
- Louhichi, Kamel & Flichman, Guillermo & Blanco Fonseca, Maria, 2009. "A generic template for FSSIM," Reports 57463, SEAMLESS: System for Environmental and Agricultural Modelling, Linking European Science and Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.