Working Paper 174 - African Development Finance Institutions: Unlocking the Potential
AbstractAfrican development finance institutions (DFIs) can play an important role in addressing market failures in credit markets. However, in spite of their importance, very little is known about them. This paper contributes to fill this gap by assessing the compliance of African DFIs with international best practices in corporate governance and risk management based on the results of the peer review process of the “Prudential Standards, Guidelines and Rating System for African Development Banks and Finance Institutions”. This paper finds that African DFIs are compliant with a number of best practices yet there is scope for improvement. This paper concludes that policymakers might consider addressing existing gaps should they wish improving the performance and effectiveness of African DFIs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by African Development Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 470.
Date of creation: 14 Jun 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 15 Avenue du Ghana P.O.Box 323-1002 Tunis-Belvedère, Tunisia
Phone: (+216) 71 10 39 00
Fax: (225) 21.77.53
Web page: http://www.afdb.org/en/knowledge/publications/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-deSilanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000.
"Government Ownership of Banks,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1890, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei, 2001. "Government Ownership of Banks," Working Paper Series rwp01-016, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopezde-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000. "Government Ownership of Banks," NBER Working Papers 7620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Scott, David H., 2007. "Strengthening the governance and performance of state-owned financial institutions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4321, The World Bank.
- de Luna-Martinez, Jose & Vicente, Carlos Leonardo, 2012. "Global survey of development banks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5969, The World Bank.
- Rudolph, Heinz P., 2009. "State financial institutions : mandates, governance, and beyond," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5141, The World Bank.
- Gutierrez, Eva & Rudolph, Heinz P. & Homa, Theodore & Beneit, Enrique Blanco, 2011. "Development banks : role and mechanisms to increase their efficiency," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5729, The World Bank.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza, 2004.
"Should the Government Be in the Banking Business? The Role of State-Owned and Development Banks,"
Research Department Publications
4379, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza, 2004. "Should the Government Be in the Banking Business?: The Role of State-Owned and Development Banks," IDB Publications 6684, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Dinc, I. Serdar, 2005. "Politicians and banks: Political influences on government-owned banks in emerging markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 453-479, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adeleke Oluwole Salami).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.