Strategic Communication for Privatization, Public-Private Partnerships, and Private Participation in Infrastructure Projects
AbstractThis publication reviews the experiences of the World Bank and its clients in employing public communication programs during the processes of privatization and private sector participation. Drawing from academic and policy research as well as from case studies, it highlights good practices and identifies lessons learned through an examination of successes and failures. This publication also recommends principles of strategic communication and offers a methodology for researching and analyzing the communication issues associated with privatization and private sector participation. It includes an operational approach to design and implementation of public communication programs for the various forms of privatization and public-private initiatives. This publication is divided into two sections. The first section includes examples of privatization efforts, failures and successes, noting the role that was played by communication, or lack thereof. The second section sets out the key concepts and tools that communication specialists bring to privatization programs, along with examples of their effective use in both developed and developing countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 6522 and published in 2008.
Private Sector Development - Privatization Private Sector Development - E-Business Banks and Banking Reform Private Sector Development - Emerging Markets Public Sector Corruption and Anticorruption Measures Finance and Financial Sector Development Public Sector Development;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Mitchell & Karla Chaman-Ruiz, 2007. "Communication-Based Assessment for Bank Operations," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6731, October.
- Bernardo Bortolotti & Domenico Siniscalco & Marcella Fantini, 2000. "Privatisation and Institutions: A Cross Country Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 375, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mary M. Shirley, 1997. "POLICY ARENA: The Economics and Politics of Government Ownership," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(6), pages 849-864.
- McPhail, K. & Davy, A., 1998. "Integrating Social Concerns into Private Sector Decisionmaking. A Review of Corporate Practices in the Mining, Oil, and Gas Sectors," World Bank - Discussion Papers 384, World Bank.
- Aysit Tansel, 1997. "Workers Displaced Due to Privatization in Turkey:Before Versus After Displacement," Working Papers 9719, Economic Research Forum, revised Dec 1997.
- Glenn Jenkins, 1994. "Modernization Of Tax Administrations:Revenue Boards And Privatization As Instruments For Change," Development Discussion Papers 1994-01, JDI Executive Programs.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert, 1999.
"The Quality of Government,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 15(1), pages 222-79, April.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1998. "The Quality of Goverment," NBER Working Papers 6727, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998. "The Quality of Government," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1847, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, . "The Quality of Government," Working Paper 19452, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Shirley, Mary & Walsh, Patrick, 2000. "Public versus private ownership : the current state of the debate," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2420, The World Bank.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1994. "Politicians and Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 995-1025, November.
- Sumir Lal, 2006. "Can Good Economics Ever Be Good Politics? Case Study of India's Power Sector," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7032, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.