Midwifery and Dialogue in Organizations. Emergent, Mutual Involvement in Action Research
AbstractThis book deals with a dialogic organizational development process carried out with managers and employees in the Research & Development Department of Bang & Olufsen, Denmark. This action research project did not start with ready-made concepts to be implemented. They were developed during the process. That goes for the understanding of dialogue as sharing, daring and caring; for dialogic competencies as, e.g., confirmation and meta-communication; and for generatively facilitated conversations as midwifery. The methodology is accordingly characterized as emergent, mutual involvement. The book is a dialogue between theory and praxis, too. It integrates research, action, and training as well as theories of interpersonal and organizational communication, Roger’s humanistic psychology, Gadamer’s philosophical hermeneutics, and Buber’s philosophy of dialogue. The empirical material consists of approximately 50 colleague supervision or midwifery conversations and group-feedback sessions; and of 24 staff appraisal interviews or development conversations, which we followed on a monitor in an adjoining room. After each of these conversations, a feedback session was held. In the book you will find transcripts and analyses of these live conversations.We hope to have a dialogue with graduate students and colleagues doing similar research and training. As well as with reflective practitioners working as organizational and process consultants, coaches, trainers, mediators, facilitators, etc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Rainer Hampp Verlag in its series Books with number 9783879889938 and published in 2005.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.hampp-verlag.de/
Postal: Rainer Hampp Verlag, Marktplatz 5, 86415 Mering, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J53 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Labor-Management Relations; Industrial Jurisprudence
- M12 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Personnel Management; Executive Compensation
- M51 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Firm Employment Decisions; Promotions
- M53 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Training
- M54 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Labor Management
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rainer Hampp).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.