Japan's official development assistance: recent issues and future directions
AbstractThe paper discusses recent issues and possible future directions of Japan's official development assistance (ODA). While Japan remains one of the world's largest donor nations, given its prolonged economic stagnation and mounting public sector debt, the Japanese government is under increasing public pressure to reduce ODA budgets and to use ODA in more explicit pursuit of Japan's own economic and political interests. Internationally, Japan continues to attract criticism for its emphasis on infrastructure-related projects and for its restrained willingness to participate in multilateral partnerships. This paper argues that Japan can meet these domestic and international challenges by developing a coherent national strategy for ODA, broadly designed to enhance effectiveness, accountability and transparency. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 16 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Other versions of this item:
- Kawai, Masahiro & Takagi, Shinji, 2001. "Japan's official development assistance : recent issues and future directions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2722, The World Bank.
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1999. "The World Bank at the Millennium," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(459), pages F577-97, November.
- Tarp, Finn, 2006.
"Aid and Development,"
13171, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Oliver Morrissey, 2000. "Assessments of Assessing Aid: introduction," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 371-373.
- Norbert Palanovics, 2006. "Quo vadis Japanese ODA? New developments in Japanese aid policies," Asia Europe Journal, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 365-379, September.
- Kimura, Hidemi & Todo, Yasuyuki, 2010.
"Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of Foreign Direct Investment? A Gravity-Equation Approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 482-497, April.
- Hidemi Kimura & Yasuyuki Todo, 2009. "Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of Foreign Direct Investment? A Gravity-Equation Approach," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 380, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Hidemi Kimura & Yasuyuki Todo, 2009. "Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of Foreign Direct Investment? A Gravity-Equation Approach," Development Economics Working Papers 22881, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- KIMURA Hidemi & TODO Yasuyuki, 2007. "Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of FDI? A Gravity-Equation Approach," Discussion papers 07007, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Céline Azémar & Rodolphe Desbordes & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2004.
"Do tax sparing agreements contribute to the attraction of FDI in developing countries ?,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
bla04047, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Céline Azémar & Rodolphe Desbordes & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2007. "Do tax sparing agreements contribute to the attraction of FDI in developing countries?," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 14(5), pages 543-562, October.
- SÃƒÂ©verine Blaise, 2009. "Japanese Aid as a Prerequisite for FDI : The Case of Southeast Asian Countries," Finance Working Papers 22767, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Gonzalez, Eduardo T. & Mendoza, Magdalena L., . "Governance in Southeast Asia: Issues and Options," Discussion Papers DP 2002-07, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Kasuga, Hidefumi & Morita, Yuichi, 2012. "Aid effectiveness, governance and public investment," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 514-521.
- Hong-Min Chun & Elijah N. Munyi & Heejin Lee, 2010. "South Korea as an emerging donor: Challenges and changes on its entering OECD|DAC," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(6), pages 788-802.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.