Does foreign aid really raise per capita income? A time series perspective
AbstractWe analyze the relationship between per capita income and foreign aid. We employ annual data and five-year averages and carefully examine the time-series properties of the data. Panel estimations with dynamic feasible generalized least-squares (DFGLS) show that aid generally has an insignificant or minute negative significant impact on per capita income (particularly in highly aid-dependent countries). This holds true for countries with different levels of human development and income, as well as for different regions. We also find that aid has a small positive impact on investment, but a significant negative impact on domestic savings (crowding out) and the real exchange rate (appreciation). JEL classification: F35, O11, C23, C51
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Canadian Economics Association in its journal Canadian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 45 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Canadian Economics Association Prof. Steven Ambler, Secretary-Treasurer c/o Olivier Lebert, CEA/CJE/CPP Office C.P. 35006, 1221 Fleury Est Montréal, Québec, Canada H2C 3K4
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dierk Herzer & Oliver Morrissey, 2013. "Foreign aid and domestic output in the long run," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 149(4), pages 723-748, December.
- Herzer, Dierk & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2013.
"Private Donations, Government Grants, Commercial Activities, and Fundraising: Cointegration and Causality for NGOs in International Development Cooperation,"
Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 234-251.
- Dierk Herzer , Peter Nunnenkamp, 2012. "Private Donations, Government Grants, Commercial Activities, and Fundraising: Cointegration and Causality for NGOs in International Development Cooperation," Kiel Working Papers 1769, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Hodler, Roland & Dreher, Axel, 2013.
"Development (paradigm) failures,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 101(C), pages 63-74.
- Julian Donaubauer & Dierk Herzer & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2013.
"Does Aid for Education Attract Foreign Investors? An Empirical Analysis for Latin America,"
FIW Working Paper series
- Julian Donaubauer & Dierk Herzer & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2012. "Does Aid for Education Attract Foreign Investors? An Empirical Analysis for Latin America," Kiel Working Papers 1806, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Stephan Klasen & Florian Johannsen, 2013. "Does German Development Aid Promote German Exports and German Employment? A Sectoral-Level Analysis," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 227, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research, revised 18 Dec 2013.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Florian Johannsen, 2012.
"Foreign Aid, Exports and Development in Euromed,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
218, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Dierk Herzer, Peter Nunnenkamp, 2012.
"The Effect of Foreign Aid on Income Inequality: Evidence from Panel Cointegration,"
Kiel Working Papers
1762, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Herzer, Dierk & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2012. "The effect of foreign aid on income inequality: Evidence from panel cointegration," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 245-255.
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann & Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Dierk Herzer & Stephan Klasen & Adriana Cardozo, 2013. "Does foreign aid promote recipient exports to donor countries?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 149(3), pages 505-535, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.