Does foreign aid really raise per capita income? A time series perspective
AbstractWe analyze the relationship between per capita income and foreign aid. We employ annual data and five-year averages and carefully examine the time-series properties of the data. Panel estimations with dynamic feasible generalized least-squares (DFGLS) show that aid generally has an insignificant or minute negative significant impact on per capita income (particularly in highly aid-dependent countries). This holds true for countries with different levels of human development and income, as well as for different regions. We also find that aid has a small positive impact on investment, but a significant negative impact on domestic savings (crowding out) and the real exchange rate (appreciation). JEL classification: F35, O11, C23, C51
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Canadian Economics Association in its journal Canadian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 45 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Canadian Economics Association Prof. Steven Ambler, Secretary-Treasurer c/o Olivier Lebert, CEA/CJE/CPP Office C.P. 35006, 1221 Fleury Est Montréal, Québec, Canada H2C 3K4
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lof, Matthijs & Mekasha, Tseday Jemaneh & Tarp, Finn, 2013. "Aid and income: Another time-series perspective," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Bjørnskov, Christian & Schröder, Philipp J.H., 2010.
"Are Debt Repayment Incentives Undermined by Foreign Aid?,"
10-20, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Bjørnskov, Christian & Schröder, Philipp J.H., 2013. "Are debt repayment incentives undermined by foreign aid?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 1073-1091.
- Herzer, Dierk & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2013.
"Private Donations, Government Grants, Commercial Activities, and Fundraising: Cointegration and Causality for NGOs in International Development Cooperation,"
Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 234-251.
- Dierk Herzer , Peter Nunnenkamp, 2012. "Private Donations, Government Grants, Commercial Activities, and Fundraising: Cointegration and Causality for NGOs in International Development Cooperation," Kiel Working Papers 1769, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Roland Hodler, 2011.
"Development (Paradigm) Failures,"
11.01, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Stephan Klasen & Florian Johannsen, 2013. "Does German Development Aid Promote German Exports and German Employment? A Sectoral-Level Analysis," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 227, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research, revised 18 Dec 2013.
- Julian Donaubauer & Dierk Herzer & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2012.
"Does Aid for Education Attract Foreign Investors? An Empirical Analysis for Latin America,"
Kiel Working Papers
1806, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Julian Donaubauer & Dierk Herzer & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2013. "Does Aid for Education Attract Foreign Investors? An Empirical Analysis for Latin America," FIW Working Paper series 120, FIW.
- Dierk Herzer & Oliver Morrissey, 2013. "Foreign aid and domestic output in the long run," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 149(4), pages 723-748, December.
- Herzer, Dierk & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2012.
"The effect of foreign aid on income inequality: Evidence from panel cointegration,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 245-255.
- Dierk Herzer, Peter Nunnenkamp, 2012. "The Effect of Foreign Aid on Income Inequality: Evidence from Panel Cointegration," Kiel Working Papers 1762, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Anwar, Sajid & Nguyen, Lan Phi, 2014. "Is foreign direct investment productive? A case study of the regions of Vietnam," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(7), pages 1376-1387.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Florian Johannsen, 2012.
"Foreign Aid, Exports and Development in Euromed,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
218, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann & Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Dierk Herzer & Stephan Klasen & Adriana Cardozo, 2013. "Does foreign aid promote recipient exports to donor countries?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 149(3), pages 505-535, September.
- Leiderer, Stefan, 2013. "Donor coordination for effective government policies? Implementation of the new aid effectiveness agenda in health and education in Zambia," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.