Strategic management and the internal organization of food marketing firms
AbstractNeoclassical and industrial organization economics have traditionally treated firm internal operations as a black box linking market structure to market performance. This approach is inadequate in our modern food distribution system where large firms shape markets as they are shaped by them. Given the importance of firm behavior to firm and market performance, major research is needed to develop a micro-microeconomic theory of the firm. Research on strategic choice by firms and their use of internal organization to implement those choices is a promising approach to developing this new theory.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 4 (1988)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Other versions of this item:
- Rogers, Richard T. & Caswell, Julie A., 1987. "Strategic Management and the Internal Organization of Food Marketing Firms," Working Papers 115796, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Agency Problems and Residual Claims," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 327-49, June.
- Caves, R E & Porter, M E, 1977. "From Entry Barriers to Mobility Barriers: Conjectural Decisions and Contrived Deterrence to New Competition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 91(2), pages 241-61, May.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1981. "The Modern Corporation: Origins, Evolution, Attributes," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 19(4), pages 1537-68, December.
- Ding, John Y. & Caswell, Julie A., 1993.
"Relatedness and Performance: A Reexamination of the Diversification-Performance Link,"
116116, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Ding, John Y. & Caswell, Julie A. & Zhou, Furen, 1997. "Relatedness And Performance: A Reexamination Of The Diversification-Performance Link," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 28(1), February.
- William D. Dobson & Jay T. Akridge, 1989. "Establishing agribusiness research priorities and coordinating agribusiness research," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(4), pages 315-333.
- Beamer, Bobby G. & Preston, Warren P., 1991. "Shelf Space Allocation In The Produce Department: Implications For Marketing Specialty Produce," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 22(3), September.
- Caswell, Julie A. & Kleinschmit, Jaana K., 1993. "Economic Criteria for Settling Federalism Disputes with an Application to Food Safety Regulation," Working Papers 116114, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Bill Schroder & Felix Mavondo, 1994. "Strategy|performance|environmental linkages in agribusiness: Conceptual issues and a developing country example," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(5), pages 419-429.
- McLaughlin, Edward W. & Rao, Vithala R., 1988. "The Strategic Role of Supermarket Buyer Intermediaries in New Product Selection: Implications for Systemwide Efficiency," Working Papers 115905, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Ding, John Y. & Caswell, Julie A. & Rogers, Richard T., 1993. "Restructuring's Effect on Related and Unrelated Diversification Among Top Food Manufacturing Firms in the 1980s," Working Papers 116118, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Bhuyan, Sanjib & Cotterill, Ronald W., 1994. "Countervailing Power and Seller Performance in U.S. Food and Tobacco Manufacturing Industries," Working Papers 116163, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.