Composite price expectations: An empirical analysis for the Spanish horticultural sector
AbstractThis article aims to determine the extent to which available information is used to formulate price expectations in the horticultural sector in southeastern Spain. In recent decades this sector, which exports mainly to European Union (E.U.) food distribution centers, has witnessed a greater correlation between production and marketing due to the influence of cooperatives. This has led to an increase in the availability and use of information for forecasting the different variables. This analysis proposes the combination of rational expectation models and lagged price expectation models. It also compares the proposed model with other traditional expectation models. The results suggest that current market information (rational expectation viewpoint) is being used complementary to lagged prices and show the suitability of a rational composite expectation model. [EconLit classification: D840, Q110, Q130]. © 2007 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 23: 57-83, 2007.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 23 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holt, Matthew & Johnson, Stanley R., 1989.
"Bounded Price Variation and Rational Expectations in an Endogenous Switching Model of the U.S. Corn Market,"
Staff General Research Papers
267, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Holt, Matthew T & Johnson, Stanley R, 1989. "Bounded Price Variation and Rational Expectations in an Endogenous Switching Model of the U.S. Corn Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(4), pages 605-13, November.
- Orazem, Peter & Miranowski, John, 1986.
"An Indirect Test for the Specification of Expectation Regimes,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 68(4), pages 603-09, November.
- Miranowski, John & Orazem, Peter, 1986. "An Indirect Test for the Specification of Expectation Regimes," Staff General Research Papers 10702, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Weaver, Robert D. & Chattin, Peter & Banerjee, Aniruddha, 1989. "Market Structure And The Dynamics Of Retail Food Prices," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 18(2), October.
- Laurence Broze & Christian Gouriéroux & Ariane Szafarz, 1990. "Reduced Forms of Rational Expectations Models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/647, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Sheffrin,Steven M., 1996.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521479394, April.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Tada, Minoru, 1991. "Econometric analysis of expected price formation," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 5(1), January.
- Aradhyula, Satheesh V. & Holt, Matthew, 1989.
"Risk Behavior and Rational Expectations in the U.S. Broiler Market,"
Staff General Research Papers
274, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Satheesh V. Aradhyula & Matthew T. Holt, 1988. "Risk Behavior and Rational Expectations in the U.S. Broiler Market," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 88-wp33, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Satheesh V. Aradhyula & Matthew T. Holt, 1988. "Risk Behavior and Rational Expectations in the U.S. Broiler Market," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 88-wp33, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Keane, Michael P & Runkle, David E, 1990. "Testing the Rationality of Price Forecasts: New Evidence from Panel Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(4), pages 714-35, September.
- Parrott, Scott D. & McIntosh, Christopher S., 1996. "Nonconstant Price Expectations And Acreage Response: The Case Of Cotton Production In Georgia," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(01), July.
- Just, Richard E, 1977. "Estimation of an Adaptive Expectations Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(3), pages 629-44, October.
- Mullineaux, Donald J, 1978. "On Testing for Rationality: Another Look at the Livingston Price Expectations Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(2), pages 329-36, April.
- Plott, Charles R. & Sunder, Shyam., .
"Rational Expectations and the Aggregation of Diverse Information in Laboratory Security Markets,"
463, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Plott, Charles R & Sunder, Shyam, 1988. "Rational Expectations and the Aggregation of Diverse Information in Laboratory Security Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(5), pages 1085-1118, September.
- Tada, Minoru, 1991. "Econometric analysis of expected price formation," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 59-73, January.
- Perez-Mesa, Juan Carlos & Galdeano-Gomez, Emilio & Aznar-Sanchez, Jose A., 2011. "Management System for Harvest Scheduling: The Case of Horticultural Production in Southeast Spain," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 14(4).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.