An Indirect Test for the Specification of Expectation Regimes
AbstractThis paper develops an empirical strategy for testi ng competing hypotheses of expectation regimes when direct measures of expectati ons are unavailable. The procedure takes as given an assumed structural relation ship between expected values of exogeneous variables and a given decision variab le. By imposing different expectation regimes on this model, the authors obtain an artificial nesting of the hypothesized regimes which allows us to test whethe r any specification dominates. This methodology is extended to multipleequation applications with any number of hypothesized expectation regimes. The tests are illustrated using a model of the response of county-level farm acreage allocati on to expected commodity prices.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 10702.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 1986
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Review of Economics and Statistics, November 1986, vol. 68 no. 4, pp. 603-609
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Orazem, Peter & Miranowski, John, 1986. "An Indirect Test for the Specification of Expectation Regimes," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(4), pages 603-09, November.
- NEP-ALL-2003-12-14 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Burton, Diana M. & Love, H. Alan, 1996. "A Review Of Alternative Expectations Regimes In Commodity Markets: Specification, Estimation, And Hypothesis Testing Using Structural Models," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 25(2), October.
- Newell, Richard G. & Sanchirico, James N. & Kerr, Suzi, 2005.
"Fishing quota markets,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 437-462, May.
- Paudel, Krishna P. & McIntosh, Christopher S., 1998.
"Numeraire Choice In Agricultural Supply Analysis,"
1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association)
20962, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- McIntosh, Christopher S. & Shumway, C. Richard, 1994.
"Evaluating alternative price expectation models for multiproduct supply analysis,"
Agricultural Economics, Blackwell,
Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 1-11, January.
- Mcintosh, Christopher & Shumway, C. Richard, 1994. "Evaluating alternative price expectation models for multiproduct supply analysis," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 10(1), January.
- Matthew T. Holt & Andrew M. McKenzie, 2003. "Quasi-rational and ex ante price expectations in commodity supply models: an empirical analysis of the US broiler market," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(4), pages 407-426.
- Sanchirico, James & Newell, Richard & Papps, Kerry, 2005. "Asset Pricing in Created Markets for Fishing Quotas," Discussion Papers, Resources For the Future dp-05-46, Resources For the Future.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul, 1999. "On The Economic Rationality Of Market Participants: The Case Of Expectations In The U.S. Pork Market," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
- Emilio Galdeano-Gómez, 2007. "Composite price expectations: An empirical analysis for the Spanish horticultural sector," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(1), pages 57-83.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul, 2000. "On information and market dynamics: The case of the U.S. beef market," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(5-7), pages 833-853, June.
- Nerlove, Marc & Fornari, Ilaria, 1998. "Quasi-rational expectations, an alternative to fully rational expectations: An application to US beef cattle supply," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 129-161.
- Shideed, Kamil H. & White, Fred C., 1989. "Alternative Forms Of Price Expectations In Supply Analysis For U.S. Corn And Soybean Acreages," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(02), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.