The price-concentration relationship in grocery retailing: Retesting Newmark
AbstractA study by Newmark is one of two price-concentration studies of U.S. grocery retailing that has failed to find a positive relationship. We examined four possible sources of experimental error in this study. The most important source of error was the failure to exclude noncompeting grocery retailers in the construction of the concentration measure. The relationship was also sensitive to controlling for a subgroup of observations from one state, to alternative data sources, and functional form. When these changes were made, concentration was found to be positively associated with the cost of groceries across cities. The relationship was significant despite a small nonrandom sample of cities and unscientifically sampled prices. [Econ Lit citations: L130, L810, L100] © 2002 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 18 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hall, Lana & Schmitz, Andrew & Cothern, James, 1979. "Beef Wholesale-Retail Marketing Margins and Concentration," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 46(183), pages 295-300, August.
- Sexton, Richard J. & Lavoie, Nathalie, 2001. "Food processing and distribution: An industrial organization approach," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 15, pages 863-932 Elsevier.
- Cotterill, Ronald W, 1986. "Market Power in the Retail Food Industry: Evidence from Vermont," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(3), pages 379-86, August.
- Binkley, James K. & Connor, John M., 1996. "Market Competition And Metropolitan-Area Grocery Prices," Working Papers 25988, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Newmark, Craig M., 1990. "A new test of the price-concentration relationship in grocery retailing," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 369-373, August.
- Volpe, Richard J., III & Lavoie, Nathalie, 2005. "The Effect of Wal-Mart Supercenters on Grocery Prices in New England," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19188, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Richard J. Volpe III & Nathalie Lavoie, 2006.
"The Effect of Wal-Mart Supercenters on Grocery Prices in New England,"
2006-8, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Resource Economics.
- Richard J. Volpe & Nathalie Lavoie, 2008. "The Effect of Wal-Mart Supercenters on Grocery Prices in New England," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 30(1), pages 4-26.
- Connor, John M., 1999. "Evolving Research On Price Competition In The Grocery Retailing Industry: An Appraisal," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 28(2), October.
- Cotterill, Ronald W., 2002. "An Antitrust Economic Analysis of Stop & Shop's Proposed Acquisition of the Big V Shop Rite Supermarket Chain," Research Reports 25194, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Vandeplas, Anneleen, 2009.
"Market Power and Rents in Global Supply Chains,"
2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China
53213, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Swinnen, Jo & Vandeplas, Anneleen, 2010. "Market power and rents in global supply chains," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/262760, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- John M. Connor, 2003. "The Changing Structure Of Global Food Markets: Dimensions, Effects, And Policy Implications," Working Papers 03-02, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.