Evolving Research On Price Competition In The Grocery Retailing Industry: An Appraisal
AbstractWith the end of the Supermarket Revolution in the 1970s, new forms of horizontal, vertical, and geographic competition have appeared to challenge the supremacy of the supermarket format. New retail formats like warehouse stores, supercenters, and fast-food outlets appear to affect local retail supermarket prices. Slotting allowances, coupons, and electronic data gathering have intensified retailer-manufacturing rivalry. Foreign direct investment offers the promise of new European-style management styles in U.S. grocery retailing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association in its journal Agricultural and Resource Economics Review.
Volume (Year): 28 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Agribusiness; Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Connor, John M., 1997. "Couponing As A Horizontal And Vertical Strategy: Theory And Effects," Working Papers 14344, University of Minnesota, The Food Industry Center.
- Steven Salop & Joseph Stiglitz, 1977.
"Bargains and ripoffs: a model of monopolistically competitive price dispersion,"
Special Studies Papers
94, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Salop, Steven & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Bargains and Ripoffs: A Model of Monopolistically Competitive Price Dispersion," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 493-510, October.
- William J. Baumol & Richard E. Quandt & Harold T. Shapiro, 1964. "Oligopoly Theory and Retail Food Pricing," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37, pages 346.
- Kim, Byung-Do & Blattberg, Robert C & Rossi, Peter E, 1995. "Modeling the Distribution of Price Sensitivity and Implications for Optimal Retail Pricing," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 291-303, July.
- Cotterill, Ronald W, 1986. "Market Power in the Retail Food Industry: Evidence from Vermont," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(3), pages 379-86, August.
- Ruth N. Bolton, 1989. "The Relationship Between Market Characteristics and Promotional Price Elasticities," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(2), pages 153-169.
- Chevalier, Judith A, 1995. " Do LBO Supermarkets Charge More? An Empirical Analysis of the Effects of LBOs on Supermarket Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1095-1112, September.
- Chih-ching Yu & John M. Connor, 2002. "The price-concentration relationship in grocery retailing: Retesting Newmark," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(4), pages 413-426.
- Paul R. Messinger & Chakravarthi Narasimhan, 1997. "A Model of Retail Formats Based on Consumers' Economizing on Shopping Time," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(1), pages 1-23.
- Lamm, R McFall, 1981. "Prices and Concentration in the Food Retailing Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 67-78, September.
- Katz, Michael L, 1984. "Price Discrimination and Monopolistic Competition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(6), pages 1453-71, November.
- Dobson, Paul W & Waterson, Michael, 1997. "Countervailing Power and Consumer Prices," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(441), pages 418-30, March.
- Cotterill, Ronald W., 1991. "Food Retailing: Mergers, Leveraged Buyouts, and Performance," Research Reports 25217, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Holmes, Thomas J, 1989. "The Effects of Third-Degree Price Discrimination in Oligopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 244-50, March.
- Li, Chenguang & Sexton, Richard J., 2009. "Impacts of Retailers’ Pricing Strategies for Produce Commodities on Farmer Welfare," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51720, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Harrison, R. Wes & Jaenicke, Edward C. & Jensen, Kimberly L. & Jakus, Paul M., 2005.
"Follow the Leader: Adoption Behavior in Food Retailers' Decision to Offer Fresh Irradiated Ground Beef,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19300, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Edward C. Jaenicke & R. Wesley Harrison & Kimberly L. Jensen & Paul M. Jakus, 2006. "Follow the leader? Adoption behavior in food retailers' decision to offer fresh irradiated ground beef," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 547-568.
- Xia, Tian & Sancewich, Brian, 2012. "Retail Markets and Buyer Power in Agricultural Procurements," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124929, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Li, Lan & Carman, Hoy F. & Sexton, Richard J., 2006.
"Grocery Retailer Pricing Behavior for California Avocados with Implications for Industry Promotion Strategies,"
2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia
25494, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Li, Lan & Carman, Hoy F. & Sexton, Richard J., 2005. "Grocery Retailer Pricing Behavior for California Avocados with Implications for Industry Promotion Strategies," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19498, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Li, Chenguang & Sexton, Richard J., 2013. "Grocery-Retailer Pricing Behavior with Implications for Farmer Welfare," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(2), August.
- Jaenicke, Edward C. & Harrison, R. Wes & Jensen, Kimberly L. & Jakus, Paul M., 2005. "Adoption Behavior in Food Retailers' Decision to Offer Fresh Irradiated Ground Beef," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24680, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Davis, David E., 2009. "Price and promotion effects of supermarket mergers," SDSU Working Papers in Progress 12009, South Dakota State University, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2010.
- Jetter, Karen M. & Cassady, Diana, 2004. "Explaining Disparities In The Cost Of Healthier Food," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20181, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- John M. Connor, 2003. "The Changing Structure Of Global Food Markets: Dimensions, Effects, And Policy Implications," Working Papers 03-02, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.