Competition and Competition Policy in the Austrian Electricity Market. A Critical Review Four Years after Market Liberalisation
AbstractElectricity market liberalisation introduced in Austria four years ago initially brought the expected price reductions for both small and large users of electricity – but not more competition. Due to unresolved homemade structural problems, liberalisation has left incumbent electricity suppliers largely unchallenged in their comfortable position as local monopolists. Mergers of public utilities together with existing cross-shareholdings have contributed to a substantial increase of the market power of incumbents, thereby putting the economic benefits from market liberalisation seriously at risk. A programme to stimulate competition is recommended to accelerate the long-delayed legal "unbundling" and institute a thorough review of the strategic alliances in the Austrian electricity sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by WIFO in its journal Quarterly.
Volume (Year): 10 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Hall, 1986.
"The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry,"
NBER Working Papers
1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988. "The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-47, October.
- Bolle, Friedel, 1992. "Supply function equilibria and the danger of tacit collusion : The case of spot markets for electricity," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 94-102, April.
- Klemperer, Paul D & Meyer, Margaret A, 1989. "Supply Function Equilibria in Oligopoly under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1243-77, November.
- Green, Richard J & Newbery, David M, 1992.
"Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 929-53, October.
- Green, Richard & Newbery, David M G, 1991. "Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 557, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Green, Richard J, 1996. "Increasing Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 205-16, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.