Farm and Non-farm Incomes of Rural Households in Slovenia Canonical Correlation Analysis
AbstractThis paper provides an analysis of socio-economic characteristics and their influence on farm and non-farm incomes of rural households in Slovenia. With the canonical correlation analysis we use a methodological approach that offers a true multivariate procedure for both sides of the equation. It thus goes beyond a simple pair-wise correlation analysis and also beyond multiple correlation analysis. This rather rarely used statistical method offers interesting insights into many fields of analytical applications. Our results confirm that rural households usually turn towards non-farm employment if distress-push factors prevail. Besides insufficient farm incomes, large household sizes push households into non-farm diversification. Employment opportunities in the non-farm sector- regardless of whether triggered by distress in the household or demand in the non-farm sector- depend strongly on education.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter Open in its journal South East European Journal of Economics and Business.
Volume (Year): 3 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyteropen.com
Canonical Correlation Analysis; Slovenia; Rural Non-farm Sector; Diversification;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fritzsch, Jana & Buchenrieder, Gertrud & Mollers, Judith, 2010. "Non-farm income diversification of rural farm households in Central and Southeastern Europe: an application of fuzzy set theory," 118th Seminar, August 25-27, 2010, Ljubljana, Slovenia 95321, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Meng, Ting & Florkowski, Wojciech J. & Kolavalli, Shashidhara & Ibrahim, Mohammed, 2012. "Food Expenditures and Income in Rural Households in the Northern Region of Ghana," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124638, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Jan Fałkowski & Maciej Jakubowski & Paweł Strawiński, 2011.
"Returns from income strategies in rural Poland,"
2011-05, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2011. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114364, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2013. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," Factor Markets Working Papers 178, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Fritzsch, Jana & Möllers, Judith & Buchenrieder, Gertrud, 2011. "Employment diversification of farm households and structural change in the rural economy of the New Member States," IAMO Discussion Papers 134, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Fritzsch, Jana, 2011. "A Composite Fuzzy Indicator for Assessing Farm Household Potential for Non-farm Income Diversification," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114349, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.