Non-farm income diversification of rural farm households in Central and Southeastern Europe: an application of fuzzy set theory
AbstractA fuzzy logic model for quantifying farm households’ potential for non-farm income diversification is developed and applied to 1,077 farm households in Bulgaria, Hungary, Poland, Romania, and Slovenia. About three quarters of households have a diversification potential, but not all households use it. An analysis of diversification potential and diversification behaviour shows that there are seven household types in the sample. Not all development options, i.e. farm development, farm exit, or starting non-farm employment, are equally suitable for all households thus fine targeting of policy measures according to the household type could be important for policy makers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 118th Seminar, August 25-27, 2010, Ljubljana, Slovenia with number 95321.
Date of creation: Aug 2010
Date of revision:
rural development; non-farm rural employment diversification; fuzzy logic; transition countries; Community/Rural/Urban Development; C65; D33; J24; Q12;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C65 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Miscellaneous Mathematical Tools
- D33 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Factor Income Distribution
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Judith Möllers & Patrick Zier & Gertrud Buchenrieder, 2008. "Expectations, Strategies and Prospects of Farmers in View of Croatia’s Pending EU Accession," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 381-394, November.
- Möllers Judith & Fritzsch Jana & Buchenrieder Gertrud, 2008. "Farm and Non-farm Incomes of Rural Households in Slovenia Canonical Correlation Analysis," South East European Journal of Economics and Business, De Gruyter Open, vol. 3(2), pages 39-48, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.