Further Investigations into the Factors Affecting Compliance with U.K. Fishing Quotas
AbstractThis paper reports the results of a more recent study of quota compliance in the U.K. fishery that was investigated in an earlier article in this journal (Hatcher et al. 2000). The study collected more detailed data on fishermen’s perceptions and experience of enforcement and sought to measure the financial incentive to cheat. In addition, whereas the earlier study used a binary approach to modelling the data, we employed an orderedresponse model and included a number of scale regressors without transformation. Although we still find some evidence of normative influences on violation levels, the results suggest that “conventional” economic incentives predominate in the fishery.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 81 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q22 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Fishery
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eggert, Hakan & Lokina, Razack B., 2008.
"Regulatory Compliance in Lake Victoria Fisheries,"
dp-08-14-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Kerri Brick & Martine Visser & Justine Burns, 2011.
"Risk Aversion: Experimental Evidence from South African Fishing Communities,"
227, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Kerri Brick & Martine Visser & Justine Burns, 2012. "Risk Aversion: Experimental Evidence from South African Fishing Communities," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(1), pages 133-152.
- Akpalu, Wisdom, 2011. "Determinants of noncompliance with light attraction regulation among inshore fishers in Ghana," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 172-177, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.