The pass-through from depreciation to inflation: Chile 1986-2001
AbstractA microeconomic model of imperfect Cournot competition is used to derive an explicit endogenous relationship between price level and the nominal exchange rate. We obtain a mark-up that varies endogenously with consumer real income. Using the model, the estimated pass-through –namely the impact of devaluation on inflation– ranges between 9-11% in the short run and between 21-32% in the long run for the period 1986-2001. However, the data supports a structural change in 1991, after which the pass-through coefficient declines significantly. Moreover, contrary to conventional wisdom, we find no evidence of procyclical pass-through.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chile, Department of Economics in its journal Estudios de Economia.
Volume (Year): 30 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 Year 2003 (June)
Exchange rate; Devaluation; Pass-through; Inflation; Endogenous Mark-up; Oligopolistic Cournot Competition.;
Other versions of this item:
- Carlos Noton, 2003. "The Pass-through from Depreciation to Inflation: Chile 1986-2001," Working Papers wp202, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2002.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Import Prices: A Macro or Micro Phenomenon?,"
NBER Working Papers
8934, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campa, Jose M. & Goldberg, Linda S., 2002. "Exchange rate pass-through into import prices: A macro or micro phenomenon?," IESE Research Papers D/475, IESE Business School.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2002. "Exchange rate pass-through into import prices: a macro or micro phenomenon?," Staff Reports 149, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Ayumi Kikuchi & Michael Sumner, 2002.
"Exchange-rate pass-through in Japanese export pricing,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 34(3), pages 279-284.
- Kikuchi, Ayumi & Sumner, Michael, 1997. "Exchange-rate pass-through in Japanese export pricing," Discussion Papers in Economics 06/97, Department of Economics, University of Sussex.
- Ilan Goldfajn & Sergio R.C. Werlang, 2000.
"The pass-through from depreciation to inflation : a panel study,"
Textos para discussÃ£o
423, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Ilan Goldfajn & Sérgio Ribeiro da Costa Werlang, 2000. "The Pass-through from Depreciation to Inflation: A Panel Study," Working Papers Series 5, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Verónica Kunze).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.