Eliminating the Market for Secondhand Goods: An Alternative Explanation for Leasing
AbstractThere are a number of prominent specific instances in which a durable goods manufacturer with significant market power employed a lease-only policy: United Shoe in the market for shoe machinery, (ii) IBM in the market for computers and (iii) Xerox in the market for copiers. The obvious question that arises is, Why would such a firm prefer leasing over selling? In this article the author argues that one role of the lease-only policy was to eliminate the market for secondhand goods. The article formally demonstrates the argument, discusses the relationship between this article and earlier literature on secondhand markets, and discusses the implications for antitrust policy. Copyright 1997 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Law & Economics.
Volume (Year): 40 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hodaka Morita & Xuan Nguyen, 2012. "FDI and Technology Spillovers under Vertical Product Di erentiation," Discussion Papers 2012-19, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Gavazza, Alessandro & Lizzeri, Alessandro & Rokestkiy, Nikita, 2012.
"A quantitative analysis of the used-car market,"
38414, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ari Gerstle & Michael Waldman, . "Mergers In Durable-Goods Industries: A Re-Examination Of Market Power And Welfare Effects," American Law & Economics Association Annual Meetings 1038, American Law & Economics Association.
- Dennis W. Carlton & Michael Waldman, 2001.
"Competition, Monopoly, and Aftermarkets,"
NBER Working Papers
8086, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Igal Hendel & Alessandro Lizzeri, 2002.
"The Role of Leasing under Adverse Selection,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(1), pages 113-143, February.
- Igal Hendel & Alessandro Lizzeri, 1998. "The Role of Leasing under Adverse Selection," NBER Working Papers 6577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- I. Hendel & A. Lizzeri, 1999. "The Role of Leasing under Adverse Selection," Princeton Economic Theory Papers 99f7, Economics Department, Princeton University.
- Jill Boylston Herndon, 2000. "United Shoe Machineryand the Antitrust Significance of “Free” Service," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 301-311, November.
- Qiu_Hong Wang & Kai-Lung Hui, 2005. "Technology Timing and Pricing In the Presence of an Installed Base," Industrial Organization 0512013, EconWPA.
- Chemmanur, Thomas & Jiao, Yawen & Yan, An, 2010. "A theory of contractual provisions in leasing," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 116-142, January.
- Evrim Dener, 2007. "Quality Uncertainty and Time Inconsistency in a Durable Good Market," Departmental Working Papers 0707, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
- Anders, Christoph, 2010. "Auswirkungen des Leasings auf Transaktionskosten," Leasing - Wissenschaft & Praxis, Universität zu Köln, Forschungsinstitut für Leasing, vol. 8(2), pages 71-88.
- Miao, Chun-Hui, 2010. "Consumer myopia, standardization and aftermarket monopolization," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 931-946, October.
- Andrea L. Eisfeldt & Adriano A. Rampini, 2009.
"Leasing, Ability to Repossess, and Debt Capacity,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(4), pages 1621-1657, April.
- Andrea Eisfeldt & Adriano Rampini, 2006. "Leasing, Ability to Repossess, and Debt Capacity," 2006 Meeting Papers 461, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Adriano Rampini & Andrea Eisfeldt, 2007. "Leasing, Ability to Repossess, and Debt Capacity," Working Papers 07-19, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Poddar, Sougata, 2004. "Strategic choice in durable goods market when firms move simultaneously," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 175-186, June.
- Robert H. Porter & Peter Sattler, 1999. "Patterns of Trade in the Market for Used Durables: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7149, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Evrim Dener, 2011. "Quality uncertainty and time inconsistency in a durable good market," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 104(1), pages 1-24, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.