Dual Labor Markets, Efficiency Wages, and Search
AbstractThis article presents an equilibrium model of a dual labor market. Firms are assumed to be identical ex ante and dualism arises endogenously. The dual labor market outcome is supported by efficiency wage and search considerations. Firms choose wage/effort requirement packages optimally given optimal search and effort choice by workers, and vice versa. The authors prove existence and investigate the occurence and nature of dual labor market equilibria. Copyright 1992 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 10 (1992)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
Other versions of this item:
- Albrecht, J.W. & Vroman, S.B., 1991. "Dual Labour Markets, Efficiency Wages, and Search," Papers 492, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Albrecht, James W. & Vroman, Susan B., 1990. "Dual Labor Markets, Efficiency Wages, and Search," Working Paper Series 267, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ken Burdett & Dale T. Mortensen, 1979.
"Search, Layoffs, and Labor Market Equilibrium,"
380, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Patrice Gaubert & Marie Cottrell, 1999. "Neural Network And Segmented Labour Market," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00134146, HAL.
- Grassi, Emanuele & Di Cintio, Marco, 2011. "Wage incentive profiles in dual labour markets," MPRA Paper 32266, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Smith, Tony E & Zenou, Yves, 1997.
"Dual Labour Markets, Urban Unemployment and Multicentric Cities,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1566, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Smith, Tony E. & Zenou, Yves, 1997. "Dual Labor Markets, Urban Unemployment, and Multicentric Cities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 185-214, September.
- Smith, T. E. & Zenou, Y., . "Dual labor markets, urban unemployment, and multicentric cities," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1283, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- SMITH, Tony E. & ZENOU, Yves, 1996. "Dual Labor Markets, Urban Unemployment and Multicentric Cities," CORE Discussion Papers 1996018, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Wauthy, Xavier & Zenou, Yves, 1997.
"Efficiency Wages, Labor Heterogeneity and the Financing of the Training Cost,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1997022, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- WAUTHY, Xavier & ZENOU, Yves, 1997. "Efficiency wages, labor heterogeneity and the fInancing of the training cost," CORE Discussion Papers 1997072, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, . "Job Rents in a Stylized Labor Market," Chapters in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Arai, Kazuhiro, 1997. "Cooperation, job security, and wages in a dual labor market equilibrium," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 39-57.
- Jellal, Mohamed & wolff, François charles, 2003.
"Dual labor market and strategic efficiency wage,"
38395, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jellal, Mohamed & Zenou, Yves, 1999. "Efficiency wages and the quality of job matching," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 201-217, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.