The Labor Market Impacts of Youth Training in the Dominican Republic
AbstractWe report the impacts of a job training program operated in the Dominican Republic. A random sample of applicants was selected to undergo training, and information was gathered 10–14 months after graduation. Unfortunately, people originally assigned to treatment who failed to show up were not included in the follow-up survey, potentially compromising the evaluation design. We present estimates of the program effect, including comparisons that ignore the potential nonrandomness of “no-show” behavior, and estimates that model selectivity parametrically. We find little indication of a positive effect on employment outcomes but some evidence of a modest effect on earnings, conditional on working.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Pages: 267 - 300
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zimmermann, Klaus F. & Biavaschi, Costanza & Eichhorst, Werner & Giulietti, Corrado & Kendzia, Michael J. & Muravyev, Alexander & Pieters, Janneke & RodrÃguez-Planas, NÃºria & Schmidl, Ricarda, 2013.
"Youth Unemployment and Vocational Training,"
Foundations and Trends(R) in Microeconomics,
now publishers, vol. 9(1â2), pages 1-157, December.
- Biavaschi, Costanza & Eichhorst, Werner & Giulietti, Corrado & Kendzia, Michael J. & Muravyev, Alexander & Pieters, Janneke & Rodríguez-Planas, Núria & Schmidl, Ricarda & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2012. "Youth Unemployment and Vocational Training," IZA Discussion Papers 6890, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pablo Ibarraran & Laura Ripani & Bibiana Taboada & Juan Villa & Brigida Garcia, 2014.
"Life skills, employability and training for disadvantaged youth: Evidence from a randomized evaluation design,"
IZA Journal of Labor & Development,
Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 1-24, December.
- Ibarrarán, Pablo & Ripani, Laura & Taboada, Bibiana & Villa, Juan Miguel & García, Brígida, 2012. "Life Skills, Employability and Training for Disadvantaged Youth: Evidence from a Randomized Evaluation Design," IZA Discussion Papers 6617, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pablo Ibarrarán & Laura Ripani & Bibiana Taboada & Juan Miguel Villa & Brígida García, 2012. "Life Skills, Employability and Training for Disadvantage Youth: Evidence from a Randomized Evaluation Design," IDB Publications 78218, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Pugatch, Todd, 2012. "Safety Valve or Sinkhole? Vocational Schooling in South Africa," IZA Discussion Papers 7015, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cho, Yoon Y. & Kalomba, Davie & Mobarak, A. Mushfiq & Orozco, Victor, 2013.
"Gender Differences in the Effects of Vocational Training: Constraints on Women and Drop-Out Behavior,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7408, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cho, Yoonyoung & Kalomba, Davie & Mobarak, Ahmed Mushfiq & Orozco, Victor, 2013. "Gender differences in the effects of vocational training : constraints on women and drop-out behavior," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6545, The World Bank.
- Oriana Bandiera & Niklas Buehren & Robin Burgess & Markus Goldstein & Selim Gulesci & Imran Rasul & Munshi Sulaiman, 2014. "Women’s Empowerment in Action: Evidence from a Randomized Control Trial in Africa," STICERD - Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers Series 50, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Zuzana Brixiova & Mthuli Ncube & Zorobabel Bicaba, 2014. "Working Paper 204 - Skills and Youth Entrepreneurship in Africa: Analysis with Evidence from Swaziland," Working Paper Series 2136, African Development Bank.
- Brixiova, Zuzana & Ncube, Mthuli & Bicaba, Zorobabel, 2014.
"Skills and Youth Entrepreneurship in Africa: Analysis with Evidence from Swaziland,"
IZA Discussion Papers
8192, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Zuzana Brixiova & Mthuli Ncube & Zorobabel Bicaba, 2014. "Skills and youth entrepreneurship in Africa: Analysis with evidence from Swaziland," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1077, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Evelyn Vezza, 2014. "Escaneo de Políticas y Meta-Análisis: Juventud y Políticas de Empleo en América Latina (Policy scan and meta-analysis: Youth and Employment policies in Latin America)," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0156, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- David Cutler & Wei Huang & Adriana Lleras-Muney, 2014. "When Does Education Matter? The Protective Effect of Education for Cohorts Graduating in Bad Times," NBER Working Papers 20156, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dasgupta, Utteeyo & Gangadharan, Lata & Maitra, Pushkar & Mani, Subha & Subramanian, Samyukta, 2011. "Selection into skill accumulation: evidence using observational and experimental data," MPRA Paper 32383, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carla Calero & Veronica Gonzales & Yuri Soares & Jochen Kluve & Carlos Henrique Corseuilt, 2014.
"Can Arts-Based Interventions Enhance Labor Market Outcomes among Youth? Evidence from a Randomized Trial in Rio de Janeiro,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
0486, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Calero, Carla & Corseuil, Carlos Henrique & Gonzales, Veronica & Kluve, Jochen & Soares, Yuri, 2014. "Can Arts-Based Interventions Enhance Labor Market Outcomes among Youth? Evidence from a Randomized Trial in Rio de Janeiro," IZA Discussion Papers 8210, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barrientos, Armando & Villa, Juan M., 2013. "Evaluating antipoverty transfer programmes in Latin America and sub-Saharan Africa: Better policies? Better politics?," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- World Bank, 2012. "Toward Gender Equality in East Asia and the Pacific : A Companion to the World Development Report," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 12598, February.
- Umidjon Abdullaev & Marcello Estevao, 2013. "Growth and Employment in the Dominican Republic," IMF Working Papers 13/40, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.