Comparing the net foreign liability dynamics of Australia and the United States
AbstractThis article examines the evolution of net foreign liabilities as a share of GDP in Australia and the United States. The two countries have been running similarly large current account deficits in recent years. But while net foreign liabilities have been growing steadily as a share of GDP in Australia they have, remarkably, been falling in the US.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Treasury, Australian Government in its journal Economic Roundup.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Bank foreign liabilities; debt; liability; monetary policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
- H63 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Debt; Debt Management; Sovereign Debt
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier & Rey, Hélène, 2005.
"From World Banker to World Venture Capitalist: US External Adjustment and The Exorbitant Privilege,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5220, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Hélène Rey, 2007. "From World Banker to World Venture Capitalist: U.S. External Adjustment and the Exorbitant Privilege," NBER Chapters, in: G7 Current Account Imbalances: Sustainability and Adjustment, pages 11-66 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Hélène Rey, 2005. "From World Banker to World Venture Capitalist: US External Adjustment and the Exorbitant Privilege," NBER Working Papers 11563, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier & Rey, Hélène, 2005. "From World Banker to World Venture Capitalist: US External Adjustment and the Exorbitant Privilege," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 0606, CEPREMAP.
- Phil Garton, 2007. "Asymmetric investment returns and the sustainability of US external imbalances," Treasury Working Papers 2007-01, Treasury, Australian Government, revised Feb 2007.
- William R. Cline, 2005. "United States as a Debtor Nation, The," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 3993.
- Willer, 2005. "United States Animal Health Association," 2005 NAAMIC Workshop II: Agrifood Regulatory and Policy Integration under Stress 163870, North American Agrifood Market Integration Consortium (NAAMIC).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Department of Treasury).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.