Structural choice analysis with nested logit models
AbstractThe nested logit model has become an important tool for the empirical analysis of discrete outcomes. There is some confusion about its specification of the outcome probabilities. Two major variants show up in the literature. This paper compares both and Þnds that one of them (called random utility maximization nested logit, RUMNL) is preferable in most situations. Since the command nlogit of Stata 7.0 implements the other variant (called non-normalized nested logit, NNNL), an implementation of RUMNL called nlogitrum is introduced.Numerous examples support and illustrate the differences between both specifications. Copyright 2002 by Stata Corporation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by StataCorp LP in its journal Stata Journal.
Volume (Year): 2 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.stata-journal.com/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary L. Hunt, 2000. "Alternative Nested Logit Model Structures and the Special Case of Partial Degeneracy," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 89-113.
- Borsch-Supan, Axel, 1990. "On the compatibility of nested logit models with utility maximization," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 373-388, March.
- Melanie Arntz, 2010.
"What Attracts Human Capital? Understanding the Skill Composition of Interregional Job Matches in Germany,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 423-441.
- Arntz, Melanie, 2006. "What attracts human capital? Understanding the skill composition of interregional job matches in Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-62, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Daniel Toro-Gonzalez & Jia Yan & Karina Gallardo & Jill McCluskey, 2012.
"Quality Differentiation with Flavors: Demand Estimation of Unobserved Attributes,"
2012-6, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University.
- Toro-González Daniel & Gallardo R. Karina & Yan Jia & McCluskey Jill J., 2013. "Quality Differentiation with Flavors: Demand Estimation of Unobserved Attributes," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 11, September.
- Bodas Freitas, Isabel Maria & Geuna, Aldo & Rossi, Federica, 2013. "Finding the right partners: Institutional and personal modes of governance of university–industry interactions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 50-62.
- Randall P. Ellis & Germano M. Mwabu, 1991.
"The Demand for Outpatient Medical Care in Rural Kenya,"
0006, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Randell P. Ellis & Germano M. Mwabu, 2004. "The Demand for Outpatient Medical Care in Rural Kenya," Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series dp-140, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Randall P. Ellis & Germano M. Mwabu, 1991. "The Demand for Outpatient Medical Care in Rural Kenya," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 15, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Roberto Basile & Davide Castellani, 2003.
"Location Choices of Multinational Firms in Europe: the Role of National Bourdaries and EU Policy,"
Development Working Papers
183, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Roberto Basile & Davide Castellani & Antonello Zanfei, 2004. "Location choices of multinational firms in Europe: the role of national boundaries and EU policy," ERSA conference papers ersa04p37, European Regional Science Association.
- Roberto Basile & Davide Castellani & Antonello Zanfei, 2003. "Location choices of multinational firms in Europe: the role of national boundaries and EU policy," International Trade 0310001, EconWPA.
- Kurt Schmidheiny, 2003.
"Income Segregation and Local Progressive Taxation: Empirical Evidence from Switzerland,"
dp0311, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Schmidheiny, Kurt, 2006. "Income segregation and local progressive taxation: Empirical evidence from Switzerland," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 429-458, February.
- Schmidheiny, Kurt, 2003. "Income Segregation and Local Progressive Taxation: Empirical Evidence from Switzerland," HWWA Discussion Papers 248, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Kurt Schmidheiny, 2004. "Income Segregation and Local Progressive Taxation: Empirical Evidence from Switzerland," CESifo Working Paper Series 1313, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rhona Barr & Susana Mourato, 2012. "Investigating fishers’ preferences for the design of marine Payments for Environmental Services schemes," Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment Working Papers 101, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Siedschlag, Iulia & Smith, Donal & Turcu, Camelia & Zhang, Xiaoheng, 2009. "What Determines the Attractiveness of the European Union to the Location of R&D Multinational Firms?," Papers WP306, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Siedschlag, Iulia & Smith, Donal & Turcu, Camelia & Zhang, Xiaoheng, 2009. "What Determines the Attractiveness of the European Union to the Location R&D Multinational Firms?," Papers DYNREG46, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Pandit, Mahesh & Paudel, Krishna P. & Mishra, Ashok K. & Segarra, Eduardo, 2012. "Adoption and Nonadoption of Precision Farming Technologies by Cotton Farmers," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 125004, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Toro-Gonzalez, Daniel & Yan, Jia & Gallardo, Rosa Karina & McCluskey, Jill J., 2012. "Demand Estimation In The Presence Of An Unobservable Product Attribute: The Case Of Mint Quality," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 123518, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Siedschlag, Iulia & Zhang, Xiaoheng & Smith, Donal, 2009. "What Determines the Location Choice of Multinational Firms in the ICT Sector?," Papers WP336, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Siedschlag, Iulia & Zhang, Xiaoheng & Smith, Donal, 2009. "What Determines the Attractiveness of EU Regions to the Location of Multinational Firms in the ICT Sector?," Papers DYNREG45, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Cui, Yuling & Nahm, Daehoon & Tani, Massimiliano, 2012. "The Determinants of Rural Migrants' Employment Choice in China: Results from a Joint Estimation," IZA Discussion Papers 6968, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Philip H. Brown & Caroline Theoharides, 2009. "Health‐seeking behavior and hospital choice in China's New Cooperative Medical System," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(S2), pages S47-S64, July.
- Boever, Brian P. & Harrison, R. Wes & Tiersch, Terrence R., 2006. "Willingness-to-Pay for Genetic Attributes in Aquaculture Industries," 2006 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2006, Orlando, Florida 35337, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum) or (Lisa Gilmore).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.