Firm Productivity and the Foreign-Market Entry Decision
AbstractWe use Japanese firm-level data to examine how a firm?s productivity affects its choice of foreign-market entry strategy. We study a sequence of decisions, starting with the choice between exporting and foreign direct investment (FDI). In the case of FDI, the firm faces two options: greenfield investment or merger and acquisition (M&A). If it selects greenfield investment, it has two ownership choices: whole ownership or a joint venture. Controlling for industry- and country-specific characteristics, we find that the more productive a firm is, the more likely it is to choose FDI rather than exporting, greenfield investment rather than M&A, and whole ownership rather than a joint venture. We also find that the assumed sequence of decisions fits the data better than alternative specifications. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics in its series Economics Working Papers with number 2008,02.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Foreign direct investment; merger and acquisition; joint venture; greenfield investment; firm heterogeneity; productivity;
Other versions of this item:
- Horst Raff & Michael Ryan & Frank Stähler, 2012. "Firm Productivity and the Foreign-Market Entry Decision," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(3), pages 849-871, 09.
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2008-03-08 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2008-03-08 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-EFF-2008-03-08 (Efficiency & Productivity)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ignat Stepanok, 2012.
"Cross-Border Mergers and Greenfield Foreign Direct Investment,"
Kiel Working Papers
1805, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Stepanok, Ignat, 2010. "Cross-Border Mergers and Greenfield Foreign Direct Investment," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 0731, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 29 Nov 2010.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 2006. "New Evidence on the Gains from Trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(4), pages 617-641, December.
- Raff, Horst & Ryan, Michael & Stähler, Frank, 2009. "Whole vs. shared ownership of foreign affiliates," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 572-581, September.
- Görg, Holger & Mühlen, Henning & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2010.
"FDI liberalization, firm heterogeneity and foreign ownership: German firm decisions in reforming India,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010
35, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Holger Gorg & Henning Muhlen & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2010. "FDI Liberalisation, Firm Heterogeneity and Foreign Ownership: German Firm Decisions in Reforming India," The Journal of Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 46(8), pages 1367-1384.
- James R. Markusen & Frank Stähler, 2009.
"Endogenous Market Structure and Foreign Market Entry,"
NBER Working Papers
15530, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Markusen & Frank Stähler, 2011. "Endogenous market structure and foreign market entry," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 147(2), pages 195-215, June.
- Markusen, James R. & Stähler, Frank, 2009. "Endogenous Market Structure and Foreign Market Entry," CEPR Discussion Papers 7567, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stähler, Frank & Ryan, Michael & Raff, Horst, 2007.
"Whole versus Shared Ownership of Foreign Affiliates,"
Economics Working Papers
2007,18, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Horst Raff & Michael Ryan & Frank Stähler, 2008. "Whole versus Shared Ownership of Foreign Affiliates," Kiel Working Papers 1433, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Horst Raff & Michael J. Ryan, 2008.
"Firm-Specific Characteristics and the Timing of Foreign Direct Investment Projects,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 144(1), pages 1-31, April.
- Ryan, Michael & Raff, Horst, 2007. "Firm-Specific Characteristics and the Timing of Foreign Direct Investment Projects," Economics Working Papers 2007,22, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Horst Raff & Michael Ryan, 2006. "Firm-Specific Characteristics and the Timing of Foreign Direct Investment Projects," CESifo Working Paper Series 1874, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.