Estimating an Emissions Supply Function from Accelerated Vehicle Retirement Programs
AbstractLocal authorities and industries seeking to reduce emissions and improve air quality have shown interest in programs that offer to purchase and retire old, high-polluting vehicles. We analyze the results from an experimental vehicle retirement program in Delaware, during which selected pre-1980 vehicle owners were offered $500 for their vehicles and surveyed about vehicle characteristics, value and use. With this unique data set we estimate the relationship between the owner's reservation price and the expected remaining life of the vehicle to derive a supply curve for emissions reductions, which predicts the emissions reductions as a function of the offer made to eligible vehicles in a scrappage program. Copyright 1996 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 78 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pancholy, Nishita & Thomas, Michael H. & Solis, Daniel & Stratis, Nicholas, 2011.
"The Impact of Biofuels on the Propensity of Land-Use Conversion among Non-Industrial Private Forest Landowners in Florida,"
2011 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2011, Corpus Christi, Texas
98526, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Pancholy, Nishita & Thomas, Michael H. & Solís, Daniel & Stratis, Nicholas, 2011. "The impact of biofuels on the propensity of land-use conversion among non-industrial private forest landowners in Florida," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(7), pages 570-574, September.
- Sandström, F. Mikael, 2003. "Car Age, Taxation, Scrappage Premiums and the ELV Directive," Working Paper Series 591, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- West, Sarah E., 2004. "Distributional effects of alternative vehicle pollution control policies," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3-4), pages 735-757, March.
- Lumbreras, J. & Valdés, M. & Borge, R. & Rodriguez, M.E., 2008. "Assessment of vehicle emissions projections in Madrid (Spain) from 2004 to 2012 considering several control strategies," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 646-658, May.
- Harrington, Winston & McConnell, Virginia & Alberini, Anna, 1998. "Fleet Turnover and Old Car Scrap Policies," Discussion Papers dp-98-23, Resources For the Future.
- Kavalec, Chris & Setiawan, Winardi, 1997. "An analysis of accelerated vehicle retirement programs using a discrete choice personal vehicle model," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 95-107, April.
- Jie Lin & Cynthia Chen & Debbie Niemeier, 2008. "An analysis on long term emission benefits of a government vehicle fleet replacement plan in northern illinois," Transportation, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 219-235, March.
- Don Fullerton & Sarah West, 1999.
"Can Taxes on Cars and on Gasoline Mimic an Unavailable Tax on Emissions?,"
NBER Working Papers
7059, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fullerton, Don & West, Sarah E., 2002. "Can Taxes on Cars and on Gasoline Mimic an Unavailable Tax on Emissions?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 135-157, January.
- Yamamoto, Toshiyuki & Madre, Jean-Loup & Kitamura, Ryuichi, 2004. "An analysis of the effects of French vehicle inspection program and grant for scrappage on household vehicle transaction," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 905-926, December.
- Iwata, Kazuyuki & Arimura, Toshi, 2008. "Economic Analysis of a Japanese Air Pollution Regulation: An Optimal Retirement Problem under Vehicle Type Regulation in the NOx–Particulate Matter Law," Discussion Papers dp-08-15, Resources For the Future.
- Tomohara, Akinori & Xue, Jian, 2009. "Motorcycles retirement program: Choosing the appropriate regulatory framework," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 126-129.
- Stavins, Robert, 2005.
"The Effects of Vintage-Differentiated Environmental Regulation,"
Working Paper Series
rwp05-031, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Stavins, Robert, 2005. "The Effects of Vintage-Differentiated Environmental Regulation," Discussion Papers dp-05-12, Resources For the Future.
- Lorentziadis, Panos L. & Vournas, Stylianos G., 2011. "A quantitative model of accelerated vehicle-retirement induced by subsidy," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(3), pages 623-629, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.