Determinants of regional unemployment: some evidence from Austria
AbstractBadinger H. and Url T. (2002) Determinants of regional unemployment: some evidence from Austria, Reg. Studies 36, 977-988. Using a spatial filtering technique we estimate an empirical model of regional unemployment for a sample of Austrian regions. The spatial filtering technique removes the spatial correlation from the data and allows us to assess the importance of purely spatial effects. We find significant relations between the regional unemployment rate and relative regional wages transaction costs as reflected by the share of public housing, job vacancies, the share of employees in the manufacturing sector and a social assistance variable. Spatial effects account for about one-fifth of the variation in the unemployment rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 36 (2002)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cristiano Perugini & Marcello Signorelli, 2010. "Youth labour market performance in European regions," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 151-185, May.
- Cristiano Perugini & Marcello Signorelli, 2007. "Labour Market Performance Differentials and Dynamics in EU-15 Countries and Regions," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 4(2), pages 209-262, September.
- Anna Iara & Iulia Traistaru, 2004.
"How Flexible are Wages in EU Accession Countries?,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa04p191, European Regional Science Association.
- Anna Iara & Iulia Traistaru, 2004. "How Flexible Are Wages In EU Accession Countries?," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 128, Royal Economic Society.
- Iara, Anna & Traistaru, Iulia, 2003. "How flexible are wages in EU accession countries?," ZEI Working Papers B 25-2003, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Bjoern Alecke & Timo Mitze & Gerhard Untiedt, 2010.
"Regionale Wachstumseffekte der GRW-Förderung? Eine räumlich-ökonometrische Analyse auf Basis deutscher Arbeitsmarktregionen,"
5-2010, GEFRA - Gesellschaft fuer Finanz- und Regionalanalysen.
- Björn Alecke & Timo Mitze & Gerhard Untiedt, 2011. "Regionale Wachstumseffekte der GRW-Förderung? - Eine räumlich-ökonometrische Analyse auf Basis deutscher Arbeitsmarktregionen," RWI Materialien, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, pages 46, 03.
- Alecke, Björn & Mitze, Timo & Untiedt, Gerhard, 2010.
"Regionale Wachstumseffekte der GRW-Förderung?: Eine räumlich-ökonometrische Analyse auf Basis deutscher Arbeitsmarktregionen
[Regional Growth Effects of Private Sector Investment Grants in Germa," MPRA Paper 22643, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Prodromídis, Pródromos-Ioánnis K., 2012. "Modeling male and female employment policy in Greece from local data," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 823-839.
- Lerbs, Oliver, 2010. "Is there a link between home ownership and unemployment levels? Evidence from German regional data," CAWM Discussion Papers 34, Center of Applied Economic Research Münster (CAWM), University of Münster.
- H Ingham & M Ingham & J Herbst, 2008. "Why do Local Unemployment Rates in Poland Vary so Much?," Working Papers 594943, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Björn Alecke & Timo Mitze & Gerhard Untiedt, 2013. "Growth effects of regional policy in Germany: results from a spatially augmented multiplicative interaction model," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 50(2), pages 535-554, April.
- J Herbst & H Ingham & M Ingham, 2005. "Local unemployment in Poland," Working Papers 566803, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Sarantis LOLOS & Evangelia PAPAPETROU, 2012. "Unemployment disparities and persistence Assessing the evidence from Greek regions, 1981-2008," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 12(1), pages 69-90.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.