Do exports cause growth? Some evidence for the new EU members
AbstractThis article analyses the relationship between international trade and economic growth from the point of view of one of the most traditional hypotheses within this field, namely, the export-led growth hypothesis. To this end, we apply Granger-causality tests, in a cointegration framework, to data on exports and GDP of the eight CEECs that became members of the EU in 2004. The results find some support for the export-led growth hypothesis only in the case of the Czech Republic, while no significant causality in any direction was found in the remaining cases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Post-Communist Economies.
Volume (Year): 24 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20
Other versions of this item:
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán, 2011. "Do exports cause growth? Some evidence for the new EU members," Working Papers 11-05, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David Aristei & Davide Castellani & Chiara Franco, 2011.
"Firms' exporting and importing activities: is there a two-way relationship?,"
Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
99/2011, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- David Aristei & Davide Castellani & Chiara Franco, 2013. "Firms’ exporting and importing activities: is there a two-way relationship?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 149(1), pages 55-84, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.