Poverty and vulnerability in rural China: effects of taxation
AbstractThis paper studies the impact of taxation on poverty and ex ante vulnerability of households in rural China based on national household survey data in 1988, 1995 and 2002. It has been confirmed that (i) poverty and vulnerability have reduced significantly with a great deal of geographical disparity; (ii) education, land, and access to infrastructure and irrigation facilities are the key factors to reduce vulnerability; and (iii) the highly regressive tax system increased farmers' poverty and vulnerability. The abolishment of rural tax since 2006 would thus have a significant negative impact on both poverty and vulnerability of rural households.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 8 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RCEA20
Other versions of this item:
- Katsushi S. Imai & Xiaobing Wang & Woojin Kang, 2009. "Poverty and Vulnerability in Rural China: Effects of Taxation," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0913, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Xiaobing Wang & Woojin Kang & Katsushi S. Imai, 2010. "Poverty and Vulnerability in Rural China: Effects of Taxation," Working Papers id:2886, eSocialSciences.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ravallion, Martin & Shaohua Chen, 2004.
"China's (uneven) progress against poverty,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3408, The World Bank.
- Knight, John & Song, Lina, 1999. "The Rural-Urban Divide: Economic Disparities and Interactions in China," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198293309.
- Md. Shafiul Azam & Katsushi Imai, 2009.
"Vulnerability and Poverty in Bangladesh,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0905, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Md. Shafiul Azam & Katsushi S. Imai, 2009. "Vulnerability and Poverty in Bangladesh," ASARC Working Papers 2009-02, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Md. Shafiul Azam & Katsushi S. Imai, 2010. "Vulnerability and poverty in Bangladesh," Working Papers id:2675, eSocialSciences.
- Wan, Guanghua & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2006. "Rising inequality in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 651-653, December.
- Ligon, Ethan & Laura Schechter, 2002.
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002
128, Royal Economic Society.
- Terry Sicular & Yue Ximing & Björn Gustafsson & Li Shi, 2007.
"The Urban-Rural Income Gap And Inequality In China,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 53(1), pages 93-126, 03.
- Sicular, Terry & Yue, Ximing & Gustafsson, Bjorn & Li, Shi, 2006. "The Urban-Rural Income Gap and Inequality in China," Working Paper Series RP2006/135, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Zhang, Yuan & Wan, Guanghua, 2008. "Can We Predict Vulnerability to Poverty?," Working Paper Series RP2008/82, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Jalan, Jyotsna & Ravallion, Martin, 2002.
"Household Income Dynamics in Rural China,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Pritchett, Lant & Suryahadi, Asep & Sumarto, Sudarno, 2000. "Quantifying vulnerability to poverty - a proposed measure, applied to Indonesia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2437, The World Bank.
- Chen, Shaohua & Ravallion, Martin, 2008. "China is poorer than we thought, but no less successful in the fight against poverty," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4621, The World Bank.
- Raghbendra Jha & Katsushi S. Imai & Raghav Gaiha, 2008.
"Poverty, Undernutrition and Vulnerability in Rural India: Public Works versus Food Subsidy,"
ASARC Working Papers
2008-08, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Raghbendra Jha & Katsushi S Imai & Raghav Gaiha, 2009. "Poverty, Undernutrition and Vulnerability in Rural India: Public Works versus Food Subsidy," Working Papers id:1907, eSocialSciences.
- Md. Faruq Hasan & Katsushi S. Imai & Takahiro Sato, 2012. "Impacts of Agricultural Extension on Crop Productivity, Poverty and Vulnerability: Evidence from Uganda," Discussion Paper Series DP2012-34, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, revised Feb 2013.
- Celidoni, Martina, 2011. "Vulnerability to poverty: An empirical comparison of alternative measures," MPRA Paper 33002, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Xiaobing Wang & Jenifer Piesse & Nick Weaver, 2011. "Mind the gaps: a political economy of the multiple dimensions of China’s rural–urban divide," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 15211, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.