Employment and Capital Accumulation in Unionised Labour Markets: Evidence from five south-European countries
AbstractThis paper analyses the link between employment and capital accumulation in unionised labour markets by using a dynamic monopoly union model. The role of wage setting is also explored within the above context. The empirical analysis is based on annual data from the manufacturing sector of five European countries (France, Greece, Italy, Portugal and Spain). It verifies that capital accumulation has a positive influence on employment. Concerning wages, there is evidence that, in most countries, income opportunities in the public sector play an important role in wage determination. A larger public sector crowds out private investment and employment by serving as a safety net that allows wage setters to push for higher wage demands.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal International Review of Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIRA20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barro, Robert J., 1981.
"Output Effects of Government Purchases,"
3451294, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Hunt, Jennifer, 1992.
"Wage Bargaining Structure, Employment and Economic Integration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
694, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Hunt, Jennifer, 1994. "Wage Bargaining Structure, Employment and Economic Integration," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 528-41, May.
- Jean-Pierre DANTHINE & Jennifer HUNT, 1992. "Wage Bargaining Structure, Employment and Economic Integration," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9204, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345.
- Michael B. Devereux & Ben Lockwood, 1989.
"Trade Unions, Non-Binding Wage Agreements, and Capital Accumulation,"
743, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Devereux, Michael B. & Lockwood, Ben, 1991. "Trade unions, non-binding wage agreements, and capital accumulation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1411-1426, October.
- Lockwood, Ben & Manning, Alan, 1989. "Dynamic Wage-Employment Bargaining with Employment Adjustment Costs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(398), pages 1143-58, December.
- Anderson, Simon P & Devereux, Michael, 1988.
" Trade Unions and the Choice of Capital Stock,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 90(1), pages 27-44.
- John Y. Campbell & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1987.
"Permanent and Transitory Components in Macroeconomic Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
2169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John Y & Mankiw, N Gregory, 1987. "Permanent and Transitory Components in Macroeconomic Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(2), pages 111-17, May.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Campbell, John, 1987. "Permanent and Transitory Components in Macroeconomic Fluctuations," Scholarly Articles 3207697, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1991.
"A model of currency depreciation and the debt-inflation spiral,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 151-177.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1990. "A Model of Currency Depreciation and the Debt-Inflation Spiral," CEPR Discussion Papers 431, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1996.
"Cointegration and speed of convergence to equilibrium,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 117-143.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Shin, Y., 1993. "Cointegration and Speed of Convergence to Equilibrium," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9311, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Roberto Bande Ramudo & Manuel Fernández Grela & Mª Dolores Riveiro García, 2011. "Consumption, Saving, Investment, and Unemployment. SVAR Tests of the Effects of Changes in the Consumption-Saving Pattern," Documentos de trabajo - Analise Economica 0045, IDEGA - Instituto Universitario de Estudios e Desenvolvemento de Galicia.
- Sujit Kapadia, 2003. "The Capital Stock and Equilibrium Unemployment: A New Theoretical Perspective," Economics Series Working Papers 181, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.