Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment: An analysis of the aggregate demand-side effects for postwar Canada
AbstractMost of the theoretical and empirical literature on the effects of unemployment insurance (UI) during the last 25 years has focused on the supply-side implications. The object of this article is to argue that much of those discussions over the disincentive effects of UI is misdirected. Our intention is to bring back to the forefront a discussion of the positive macroeconomic role played by UI net injections in stabilizing aggregate demand. Our empirical results using Canadian data for the postwar period support this Keynesian view of the stabilizing effect of UI in contemporary economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal International Review of Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIRA20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345.
- Grubb, David B & Jackman, Richard A & Layard, Richard G, 1982. "Causes of the Current Stagflation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(5), pages 707-30, Special I.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Micklewright, John, 1991. "Unemployment Compensation and Labor Market Transitions: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 1679-1727, December.
- Carl Davidson, 1990. "Recent Developments in the Theory of Involuntary Unemployment," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number rdtiu.
- M. W. Keil & J. S. V. Symons, 1990. "An Analysis of Canadian Unemployment," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-16, March.
- Phipps, S., 1988.
"Behavioural Response To Ui Reform In Constrained And Unconstrained Models Of Labour Supply,"
Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive
88-01, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Shelley A. Phipps, 1991. "Behavioural Response to UI Reform in Constrained and Unconstrained Models of Labour Supply," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(1), pages 34-54, February.
- Clark, Andrew E & Oswald, Andrew J, 1994. "Unhappiness and Unemployment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 648-59, May.
- Ross D. Milbourne & Douglas D. Purvis & W. David Scoones, 1991.
"Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment Dynamics,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(4), pages 804-26, November.
- Ham, John C & Rea, Samuel A, Jr, 1987.
"Unemployment Insurance and Male Unemployment Duration in Canada,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(3), pages 325-53, July.
- John C. Ham & Samuel Rea, 1986. "Unemployment Insurance and Male Unemployment Duration in Canada," Working Papers 592, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Fortin, Pierre, 1989. "How 'natural' is Canada's high unemployment rate?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 89-110, January.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1978. "The Effect of Unemployment Insurance on Temporary Layoff Unemployment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(5), pages 834-46, December.
- Phipps, Shelley, 1990. "Quantity-Constrainted Household Responses to UI Reform," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(399), pages 124-40, March.
- David Card & W. Craig Riddell, 1993.
"A Comparative Analysis of Unemployment in Canada and the United States,"
in: Small Differences That Matter: Labor Markets and Income Maintenance in Canada and the United States, pages 149-190
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Card, 1992. "A Comparative Analysis of Unemployment in Canada and the United States," Working Papers 677, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Olivier Allain, 2006. "La modération salariale : le point de vue des (néo-)kaleckiens," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00196500, HAL.
- Olivier Allain, 2006. "La modération salariale : le point de vue des (néo-)kaleckiens," Post-Print halshs-00196500, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.