Board size and corporate performance: evidence from European countries
AbstractThis paper examines the effects of board size on corporate performance across a number of European economies. Agency models suggest that large boards may destroy corporate value. Our fixed effects econometric evidence demonstrates that the effect of board size on corporate performance is generally negative. A negative effect is isolated for all five European countries in question when performance is measured as return on equity; this inverse relationship is more difficult to isolate using market-based measures of performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal The European Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 4 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJF20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Giulia Romano & Andrea Guerrini, 2012. "Corporate governance and accounting enforcement actions in Italy," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(7), pages 622-638, July.
- Romilda Mazzotta & Stefania Veltri, 2014. "The relationship between corporate governance and the cost of equity capital. Evidence from the Italian stock exchange," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 419-448, May.
- Berezinets, Irina & Ilina, Yulia & Muravyev, Alexander, 2011. "CEO and Board Characteristics as Determinants of Private Benefits of Control: Evidence from the Russian Stock Exchange," IZA Discussion Papers 6256, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sulaiman Abdullah Saif Alnasser & Joriah Muhammed, 2012. "Introduction to corporate governance from Islamic perspective," Humanomics: The International Journal of Systems and Ethics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(3), pages 220-231, August.
- Matos, Pedro Verga & Faustino, Horácio C., 2012. "Beta-convergence and sigma-convergence in corporate governance in Europe," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2198-2204.
- Shamsul Nahar Abdullah & Nor Zalina Mohamad Yusof & Mohamad Naimi Mohamad Nor, 2010. "Financial restatements and corporate governance among Malaysian listed companies," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(6), pages 526-552, July.
- Chongwoo Choe & Gloria Tian & Xiangkang Yin, 2008.
"Managerial Power, Stock-Based Compensation, And Firm Performance: Theory And Evidence,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
21/08, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Choe, Chongwoo & Tian, Gloria & Yin, Xiangkang, 2009. "Managerial Power, Stock-Based Compensation, and Firm Performance: Theory and Evidence," MPRA Paper 13449, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dutordoir, Marie & Strong, Norman & Ziegan, Marius C., 2014. "Does corporate governance influence convertible bond issuance?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 80-100.
- Quôc Thai Huynh, 2010. "Les déterminants de l’activisme des actionnaires minoritaires:insuffisance de gouvernance affichée ou de résultats financiers?," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 13(3), pages 95-114., September.
- Tian, Gloria Y. & Twite, Garry, 2011. "Corporate governance, external market discipline and firm productivity," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 403-417, June.
- Bennedsen, Morten & Kongsted, Hans Christian & Nielsen, Kasper Meisner, 2008. "The causal effect of board size in the performance of small and medium-sized firms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1098-1109, June.
- Khaled Elsayed, 2011. "Board size and corporate performance: the missing role of board leadership structure," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 415-446, August.
- Yen, Tze-Yu & Andre, Paul, 2007. "Ownership structure and operating performance of acquiring firms: The case of English-origin countries," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 59(5), pages 380-405.
- Goergen, Marc & Renneboog, Luc, 2011. "Managerial compensation," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 1068-1077, September.
- Andy Cosh & Paul Guest & Alan Hughes, 2007. "UK Corporate Governance and Takeover Performance," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp357, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Patrick Velte, 2010. "The link between supervisory board reporting and firm performance in Germany and Austria," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 295-331, June.
- Lippert, Inge, 2008. "Perspektivenverschiebungen in der Corporate Governance: Neuere Ansätze und Studien der Corporate-Governance-Forschung," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Knowledge, Production Systems and Work SP III 2008-302, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.